The Outward Journey


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater Manchester » Bolton
February 14th 2014
Published: February 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We're On The Road Again.......We're On The Road Again.......We're On The Road Again.......

.....and it was great to leave the terrible British winter behind.
So at last it began. After all the researching, planning and discussing, the time had finally arrived for us to head off on the first leg of our future travels.

We weren’t sad to leave the UK. At 11.30 am on Wednesday 12th February 2014, we threw our bags into the boot of the taxi, jumped in the back seat as quickly as we could whilst cursing the awful British winter. Torrential rain hammered down in lumps, an icy, vicious wind blew a gale and the temperature was cold enough to not actually care what the thermometer said.

This would not be missed, that was certain.

A full twenty five hours later and we were handed a much appreciated welcome drink by the friendly Receptionist at our first port of call – Sanur in Bali. For such a long journey, it was good that everything had gone pretty much to plan and we’d arrived on this wonderful, friendly Indonesian island on schedule, all luggage present and correct.

I say pretty much to plan because, as ever, things seldom go completely smoothly when I’m involved. For example, it’s in my nature to try and help others and, as
A Wet and Windy Manchester AirportA Wet and Windy Manchester AirportA Wet and Windy Manchester Airport

Just prior to helping a heavy drinking Miss Marple lookalike which led to the Banged Up Abroad incident.
we made our way onto the plane in Manchester, I noticed a little old Scottish lady struggling with a large carry on case and bag generously stuffed with duty free. I dashed over to help her and carried everything on board, making pleasant conversation along the way. It turned out said lady was a row in front of us and I was able to secure her belongings in the overhead locker next to ours.

The Qatar Airways flight departed on time and we had a pleasant first leg which meant us transiting in Doha (it’s in Qatar – me neither!!). It was here we had our first scrape. The Scottish lady had moved seats mid-flight as she said a nearby passenger smelled really badly (leave it – no it wasn’t........;-)This meant I exited the plane to get onto the waiting airport bus carrying our rucksack and also all her stuff.

By this time, our Celtic friend was nowhere to be seen. Standing on the scorching runway whilst being buffeted by disembarking passengers, I desperately scanned the thronging masses hoping for a glimpse of her. By now I had attracted the attention of a machine gun toting security guard
Looking For Our Onward Flight From DohaLooking For Our Onward Flight From DohaLooking For Our Onward Flight From Doha

They don't make it easy, do they?!!
who wanted to know what was going on. Well, my Arabic isn’t what it used to be and his English could have been better so we didn’t get very far. He started to get more agitated and, with a shudder, I realised I didn’t have a clue what the bags contained.

It was getting worried now (no wonder, I’ve watched absolutely every episode of Banged Up Abroad) so it was a great relief we spotted our Miss Marple lookalike friend and all was resolved. It turned out she’d been making the most of the generous “inflight entertainment” (!!), got disorientated and exited the plane from the wrong door………………how we laughed.

Crisis now averted we boarded our next flight which touched down in Singapore before we gratefully reached our final destination of Denpasar Airport. It had been a long journey but would be well worth all the effort. Twenty five hours in one stretch is a long time but, if you get you strategy right, it passes reasonably quickly. I’ve got this down to a fine art; the best way is to completely switch off, forget everything and just put your brain in neutral – over the years I’ve found I’m extremely talented at this. Pity I’m not “extremely talented” at something more useful or financially beneficial but there you have it!

Visa purchased, passports checked and suitcases collected, we excitedly stepped out of Denpasar Arrivals and into the still, humid heat of the Balinese early evening – it was fabulous!!

Now we just wanted to get on with our adventures……..

http://tourbuilder.withgoogle.com/builder#play/ahJzfmd3ZWItdG91cmJ1aWxkZXJyEQsSBFRvdXIYgICA4Ond7QkM

Advertisement



24th February 2014

She had to be Scottish!
Making the most of the alcohol....yup definitely Scottish!

Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb