Athens to London

United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
October 14th 2013
Published: October 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.5002, -0.126236

We woke a little before 7am, in time to hear the chimes on shore and the first disembarkation group called. Since we knew would be called at 8:30am at the earliest, we had opted to sleep in. We had a quick breakfast upstairs then returned to our cabin for final email and packing. Very nice that Holland America allows one to remain in the cabin until departure time, as opposed to fighting for space in the public lounges.

At 8:30am exactly, we were called to depart. We had no difficulties getting off or finding our bags. Since it was a cool morning, we opted to walk back to the train station (especially because, this time, we knew the most direct route). We bought our train tickets to the airport, and boarded the train. It was a long ride out to the airport – mostly waiting for the actual airport train – but we still arrived more than two hours before our departures.

Paul's gate was in a different area than mine, we were in different executive lounges, and I had to go through passport control before going to my lounge (the Aristotle Onassis Olympic lounge – hope the leather isn't whale foreskin). We opted for a coffee together before going our separate ways.

From Athens, Paul anticipated a long flight: Munich to LAX; 3 hours in LAX; arrival into SFO just before midnight. When he arrived in Munich, he learned that his flight to Los Angeles was delayed an indeterminate amount of time, due to mechanical difficulties. He went to the gate anyway, as you were supposed to do, to be told that all those who wanted to return to the lounge could do so – they would receive an announcement there with further udpates. When Paul arrived in the lounge, he was told, "Oh, Mr. Covey. We're so glad you're here. If it's all right with you, we'd like to put you on the direct flight to SFO, instead of on the delayed flight to LAX." They were even willing to retrieve Paul's bag from the system and transfer it to the SFO flight. So we landed around 6pm and was home soon after that. Lucky duck. Gruden greeted him with whimpering.

I had an on-time flight to London, then took the train to the Hilton Heathrow. I read and watched “The Secret Life of Dogs” on BBC/4. Free internet was available in the lobby areas, so I went down briefly to collect and send a few emails. In bed around 10pm.


Tot: 2.479s; Tpl: 0.038s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0808s; 2; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 2; ; mem: 1.4mb