A day of higher learning.....and rain


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 18th 2011
Published: September 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.5002, -0.126236

Slept like a rock last night. It must have been due to the miles upon miles we walked through the city. Thank goodness for the Tube, the Underground....the subway, for you non English speaking folk. I've actually been told that I speak American. Don't laugh, it's true. There have been numerous times that I have no idea what the English are saying so I MUST speak a different language.

Began the day like all the rest....up early, English breakfast (the full fry consists of eggs, English bacon, sausage, tomatoes, mushrooms and beans. They also put toast, juice, cereal, fruit and yogurt out) then we head out for the day.

Today we started with the British museum. They have a rarities or "treasures" room which contains things like a Guttenberg Bible, Shakespeares First Folio, the Magna Carta, Mozart compositions, early medical texts, Freud correspondence and even Beatles lyrics written on scrap paper or birthday cards. (Ticket to Ride was written on a card given to Julian Lennon for his 1st birthday). Very cool!

The best thing about the British Library though, is, free, powerful wireless!!

Next, we headed to the British Museum. This is where I tell you how much I love Rick Steves. The information in his books has been fabulous! We spent about 2 hours at the museum following the highlights of the Egyptian, Assyrian and Greek civilzations. You could spend days in there but one can only take so much information in a day before your brain stops processing it......and there was an ice cream truck outside calling Mom's name. (Until she saw the prices....3 pounds for a cone!)

Since we had our fill of knowledge for the day we decided to find a theater so we might be able to catch Harry Potter. English movie theaters have reserved seating. The theater itself is about 1/4 the size of ours....um, smaller than one of the "sMALL" theaters at home in BG! And, I swear the screen was only slightly bigger than my TV! But I'm not really complaining....I loved the movie....I cried. Oh, wait.....they tell you the movie starts at 4:15 and then they literally have 30 minutes of commericals and trailers. They also don't list prices for any of the food, candy or drinks!

Now it was sprinkling when we walked into the movie and raining when we left. As I have mentioned numerous times, stores and most touristy places close by 6 so there aren't many options BUT we did decide that we wanted to try to get into the House of Commons since the politicians are up debating late into the night. The houses of Parliament are in one of the old palaces in town (there are more than you'd think) and if you go to watch, you get in for free and are able to see some beautiful places.

We enjoyed listening to them debate nuclear energy versus wind power or other alternative sources but only stayed for 30 minutes. We took our time as we wandered back out. There were no crowds and we could stop and llook at all the photos, drawings, paintings, statues and plaques.....and when you get outside, there's Big Ben! Oh, that clock! I love it!

Back to Victoria Station on the Tube.....we'll have it mastered when it's time to leave! Another great day in London!

Advertisement



19th July 2011

Sounds like you're having a fabulous time. How was your "super tea"?
19th July 2011

Bring some of the rain back with you. We are expected to be in the 100's by week's end.

Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb