London - Day 2


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
June 18th 2011
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Big BenBig BenBig Ben

Big Ben still chimes every hour, ringing out across the city.
Geo: 51.5002, -0.126236

Enjoyed a hearty buffet breakfast at the Hotel and started out for an early walk in Hyde Park. Saw some squirrels, viewed Kensington Palace and then walked back to the Hotel.

We headed out for the city centre to take a boat cruise down the Thames River. It was a two hour trip full of interesting facts and sites to see. We went down the river as far as Greenwich (famous for Greenwich Mean Time) and then travelled back up the river back to the Houses of Parliament.

We were lucky enough to see the Tower Bridge open up (apparently it only opens up a few times each month these days). We also viewed the Tower of London (including the Traitor's Gate where enemies of the country were brought to be hung, including William of Wallace who was hung, drawn and quartered here).

We also seen the Earl of Whitby Pub, Britain's oldest Pub, The Mayflower Pub where the Mayflower set sail for the United States, and the East End pubs where drunks were gang pressed into the Navy.

After the boat cruise, we visited Westminster Abbey where William and Kate were recently married. We looked at the Houses of
Big Ben and the Houses of ParliamentBig Ben and the Houses of ParliamentBig Ben and the Houses of Parliament

Taken from the River Cruise on the Thames.
Parliament, then walked through Trafalgar Square, seeing Nelson's Column. After that we walked through Kensington Park to Buckingham Palace.

Whilst walking around London's West End Theatre district, we checked out the various theatre shows on offer, and bought tickets for tonight for Love Never Dies, the sequel to Phantom of the Opera. It was a great production and one of the highlights of our visit to London.

That was a big day of walking and Kim's feet are blistered.

Jim and Kim




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Tower of LondonTower of London
Tower of London

The Traitors Gate was not a place you wanted to enter as an enemy of England. You didn't come back.
Tower BridgeTower Bridge
Tower Bridge

We were lucky enought to see the Tower Bridge open up whilst we were on the Thames River cruise.
Buckingham PalaceBuckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace

One of the last big ticket attractions that we visited today.


Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0707s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb