London Introduction


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
May 4th 2013
Published: June 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Tube NatTube NatTube Nat

Nat on the Tube. We were near Old Street Station. Most we ever have had to wait is about 3 minutes.
Geo: 51.5002, -0.126236

Today was a better day than the last. We did manage to get some sleep in our billion degree room. The trick was to lie against the wall like a reverse lizard, and harvest coolness from the surface. We arranged to at least move rooms for the night ahead, and organised alternate arrangements going forward. We would check out early, tomorrow morning and take our remaining four nights as credit for use at a different Easyjet hotel in the future. Tomorrow we would head to West London to stay with family, Kate and Iain.As for today, we set out to explore and enjoy London.After a pub breakfast, our first point of call would be iconic Big Ben and the Parliament buildings. Nat bristled with excitement and we came to gripse of where we were and the thrilling prospect of the adventure ahead, and our landing at the beginning of our great European adventure. Westminister Abbey was just a short walk away so we spent a couple hours doing an audio tour and marvelling at the history and architecture within. Rain fell as we exited, but it would soon clear, as we walked through St James Park to Buckingham Palace. From here we walked through Hyde Park and on towards Knightsbridge to check out Harrods.The infamous department store, albeit with its impressive Egyptian Themed escalator didnt exactly thrill us. However the thrill factor, for Natalie in particular, would soon change as we left Harrods bound for the tube. I was confused at the sounds of unexplained excitement coming ftom Nat as we exited the building, only to be greeted with a friendly hello from Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge. Saying hi to the future Queen of England on your first full day in London, no big deal really.We headed back to Old Street station, and I organised to meet an old friend at the local pub to watch Arsenal vs QPR over a pint or two. It was great to catch up with Dan from high school who has been living in London for a while now. Nat soon joined us, we enjoyed a shared dinner, before moving on to explore some drinking spots around Camden. Dan, otherwise known as Alex, was delighted as we ran into an old lady friend of his per chance at a backpackers bar. This friend took a special interest in my Natalie, and an amusing evening was to follow. Dan, Natalie and I finished the night up at a very cool blues bar we discovered in Camden. Overall it was a great day, and we crashed back at our Easyjet Hotel around midnight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Westminister AbbeyWestminister Abbey
Westminister Abbey

Unfortunatley, no photos allowed inside
Palace GuardPalace Guard
Palace Guard

Seems they dont let you go up and cliche provoke them anymore. Shame
Kate MiddletonKate Middleton
Kate Middleton

Saying hello to Prince Williams wife. Why wouldnt you when in London?
Drinks with DanDrinks with Dan
Drinks with Dan

Drinks with dan at the Foundry Jazz and Blues bar in Camden, London


6th May 2013

My oh My! Rubbing shoulders with royalty already!!!!

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb