At Betty's place in London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
August 4th 2008
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.5002, -0.126236

This morning we headed to Buckingham Palace to visit the State Rooms which are only open to the public during August and September. We had bought our tickets yesterday which saved hours in the queue and arrived there just before 10am, our scheduled time. Fletcher had done this once before but I had not had the opportunity of being here as usually school demanded me to be present there.
The State Rooms were designed by John Nash and are very elegant and sumptuous. There is an abundance of gold and white in the elaborate ceilings and the various drawing rooms are named for their different colours, green, red, blue white, etc. The magnificent ballroom was set up as it would be for a State Dinner with the full table settings and glassware displayed. I did notice that contrary to our own Government House arrangements that not all guests had their individual salt/pepper/condiments/ tray. (note Canberra trippers!!)
The portraits are magnificent and in the picture gallery there are several Rembrandts and Van Dycks (note Art Students and teachers!!)
Fletcher kept muttering about how all this wealth and opulence was built on the backs of the toil and suffering of the working class and how it would be great when we became a Republic!!!

The tour ended in the gardens. It is amazing to realise that such a wonderful piece of greenery is so hidden behind the Palace. There are some species here that only exist in London/England in this garden now because it has been so protected.
We walked back through St James Gardens along the Serpentine which gives great views back up to the palace. Went through Horse Guards and up through Whitehall to Trafalgar Square.
We collected our tickets for Spamalot after having a Tapas lunch in All Bar One on Leicester Square. We have been here before and always enjoyed their casual dining.
We then went to Knightsbridge and browsed Harrods, always a favourite stop. We bought some fabulous drawing boards for our little boys which we are sure they will enjoy.
As we only had this internet access for 24 hours we have come bck to the hotel for a rest before dinner and Spamalot. Tomorrow we pick up a car and drive north aiming to stay at Preston with Norm's sister Cath for a night or two.
So far all is well, though we have both had a bit of jetlag from the flight from Boston.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 18; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb