Sightseeing to the Max


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
March 4th 2006
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.5002, -0.126236

First stop was the Tower of London. I was excited because this looked like a castle! I wish the moat was still filled with water, it would have looked more effective. In the White Tower I saw lots of armour and weapons. The axe that was used for chopping off heads was huge- there was no chance of it missing the target. Also saw torture machines- the stretcher and the cruncher. In the Jewel House I saw the Crown Jewels. There were many huge and sparkly jewels and crowns. They were very elaborate and probably would be heavy to wear! There was a lot of shiny gold crockery. The best gold piece was the huge punch bowl- it sure beat the one we used at uni (a garbage bin!!). There are lots of towers here and too much of it wasn't open to the public- which is annoying. Then caught a bus to St Pauls Cathedral which was designed by Christopher Wren. It is quite an impressive looking cathedral. Its huge and its ceilings decorated with many mosaic designs. This is the second biggest dome in the world after St Peters in Rome. Looking up its hard to imagine how this was built hundreds of years ago. Then walked to the river to cross the Millenium Bridge which took me to the Tate Gallery of Modern Art. I enjoyed viewing the Picasso's. Although there were many pieces here that I thought were crap. The last place for the day was Vinopolis, a wine museum and wine tasting place. They are not very generous with the tastings here as they are in Australia, but I did make a new friend- a huge bottle of bubbles!



Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

07 Tower Bridge07 Tower Bridge
07 Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge as seen from the walls of the Tower of London.
12 Protection12 Protection
12 Protection

This is King Henry XIII's armour which protected him in his battles.


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb