INLE LAKE WETLAND SANCTUARY / CULTURAL HERITAGE


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
February 4th 2016
Published: June 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 20.5672, 96.9159

We began the day with a visit to a protected wetland sanctuary that's home to more than 350 bird species. We saw a number of herons, warblers, cormorants, barbets, wild ducks and egrets. We had a Burmese lunch at Inthar Heritage House, a beautiful wooden structure built on stilts in the middle of the lake. Downstairs is a Burmese cat sanctuary, the product of a breeding program established to import and restore the elegant breed to its native Burma, where it had become extinct.

We also visited a local cheroot factory where Burmese cigars are made, stopped by a longboat building shop, took a look at the floating tomato gardens, toured the gilded Phaung Daw Oo Pagoda, and visited a weaving factory.

The average annual income in Myanmar is about $200; 70% of that is spent on food. But, a lot of the people around Inle Lake are self sufficient. A teak longboat, which amounts to the family car, costs between $2,500 - $5,000 USD, depending on the size and with or without a motor.

This is our last evening at Inle Lake. We fly to Bagan, Myanmar tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



5th February 2016

Buildings are so colorful. And everything seems to be very clean....no litter nor graffiti. So enjoying a most interesting history lesson each day. Great. Xxoo
8th February 2016

If you tell me one more time that the Pathers lost, I'll keell you.
12th February 2016

Sounds lovely. You two are looking good! Interesting insence burners.

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb