Visit to Hampton Court


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
June 6th 2015
Published: June 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Another day of sightseeing and a lovely sunny, blue sky, day for it.



Hampton Court today and we travelled by train.

Out of the campsite, down the little lane and we were in Crystal Palace Park. This is the terraced site of the Great Exhibition and some structures still remain, the two sphinxes look a little odd if you don’t know the history of the park.


A rather nice 10 minute walk across and down and we were at the station. Oyster Card at the ready we caught a train to busy Clapham Junction then changed to one for Hampton Court. All very easy and the palace is only 5 minutes across the bridge, with a lovely view down the Thames, from the station.

We were not alone, quite a crowd exited the train as we did but the palace is so enormous that nowhere was it crowded.



A wonderful place, everything so beautifully presented. Explanatory notes and guides everywhere but all beautifully done in different scripts, sizes and locations so we were inspired to find them out and read them.



A brilliant history lesson on the Royal family since Cardinal Wolsey’s time, the 1500s.



The buildings are spectacular and extensive. We loved the red brick and the super skyline of soaring chimney stacks. We visited the 3 separate apartments of Henry Vlll, William and Mary and George l. Wonderful treasures and decorations in each, paintings, panelling, tapestries and everywhere helpful guides to the history of the house and its royal occupants.



We stopped for lunch in a courtyard café and again, as yesterday, were delighted to be charged a perfectly reasonable price for a lovely light meal. We‘ve so often been ripped off by high prices in other cities abroad that it’s been a pleasure not to have experienced any of that this time. Even ‘royal’ ice-creams are normally priced.



Once we’d ‘done’ the palace we explored the wonderful and extensive gardens.

There are formal areas with trees umbrella-shaped forming lovely shade for the many picnickers. Lakes, walkways, lengthy and spectacularly planted herbaceous borders. Then formal knot gardens, wild areas, a deer park and finally the superb rose garden.



A truly lovely place and we enjoyed our visit enormously.



Back to the campsite on the train again and nicely in time for tea.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



10th June 2015

Thanks. I'd like to go there!
Dear Joy, lovely. Will you ask Bob to do something specially for me: give me a smile! Look forward to seeing it . Bigxx
10th June 2015

Smile
Will do. He usually has only one face for cameras - his serious Salt pose. I'll find a smiley one for the next issue :)

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb