The Rain is Back


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
August 17th 2014
Published: August 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

London apparently has 230 days of rain a year. I suppose we couldn't avoid all of them. We did only get poured on for about an hour, though, then we had sun for the rest of the day.

We took an early train in to Waterloo Station, which is really ideally located in the middle of everything that tourists always want to see. The London Eye sits right outside the station. Across the Thames was sitting the Parliament Building, to which Big Ben is attached. Hiding behind that was Westminster Abbey, from where it was an easy walk along St. James' Park to Buckingham Palace. Beyond the palace was Hyde Park, which led us straight to Harrod's Department Store. Which, by the way, was huge, expensive, glorious, wonderful, overwhelming, and awesome. Also they had delicious food.



We got sandwiches and amazing bakery items, which we took out to Hyde Park to eat. At this point, Marie was coming in to the city from her family lunch to meet up with us, so we headed back towards the river. Along the way, we stopped and went in to Westminster Abbey, which looks decidedly like Harry Potter was filmed there (although apparently it wasn't).



We then walked along the Thames for a bit, where we spotted the Millennium Bridge -- which definitely was in Harry Potter -- and, of course, Tower Bridge and London Tower. At this point it was almost 9, and we had dinner waiting for us at home, so we hopped on the train (which takes a bit over an hour) back out to Ascot.



Basically, today consisted of a lot of walking and outdoors pictures, but not much exploring and history, like Barcelona and Rome were. I'll be interested to see if this trend continues with having the bigger group. Regardless, tomorrow we're going to ride the London Eye, which should provide for some great pictures for you to enjoy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb