Life on Adelaine Avenue 101


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
September 28th 2013
Published: October 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

AvenueRoadAvenueRoadAvenueRoad

A pretty road near my flat on the way to Regent's Park
Instructions for an American student living at Regency Lodge on Adelaine Avenue based on my experiences.



Living:

Find an apartment with a nice kitchen, two full bathrooms, a lovely living room, and light that pours in through the windows. Living on the top floor gives a lovely view. Skip the fancy modern-looking apartment building across the street. It is about four times as expensive as yours, which was refurbished just a year ago.

Remember the keycode to the front door, but if you don’t you can buzz a roommate over the intercom like those fancy apartments in the movies. Practice unlocking your flat’s deadbolts as often as possible (it is tricky).

Only use the lift (elevator) if you have a lot to carry and are feeling daring; a man was stuck for hours.

Unfortunately, living next to Finchley Road, which connects South and North London, is near a hospital, and is close to two tube stations, you will hear traffic, sirens, and the subway at night. But the fact that you can see you school from your window and that you are only a short walk from Regents Park will make up for the noise.



Transportation:

If possible, choose an over-night flight into London. This should help you sleep on the flight and adjust to the new time schedule with slightly less jet leg. But don’t get too excited, you will still have trouble falling asleep at night and want to sleep until noon the next day.

Have your roommates meet you at the airport so you don’t get lost and so you can enjoy their lovely company. Possible topics of conversation include your flight, Harry Potter, food, home towns, Harry Potter, your apartment, and Harry Potter. Buy an Oyster Card (for the Tube) at the shop across the lobby instead of waiting in the line. This is quicker and you can buy a bottle of water at the same time. Bring bags with wheels so you don’t get rope burn when you try to carry a huge bag like a backpack.



Shopping:

When choosing roommates, it is not only preferable to choose those who are generous enough to meet you at the airport, but also willing to show you around the shops in the neighborhood. They can show you a standard supermarket, such as Waitrose or Sainsbury. You will find these both much like the grocery stores in the States, but don’t forget that the UK uses more coins than the US; so, be prepared to dig through your bag when you pay. If you are on a budget, try Sainsbury as it is slightly cheaper than Waitrose. If however you are feeling especially affluent, stop by Mark & Spencer’s for fancier far. It is close by, so if you are lucky, your roommate may disappear after dinner and return with a delicious chocolate fondant melt-in-the-middle cake.

If you are shopping for fresh produce, go to the nearby fresh fruits and veggies grocer. The shop is small but beautiful. Full of color and variety. The produce is as affordable as it is pretty. You can buy two oranges, two kiwis, one fresh fig, purple carrots, and turnips for £2.50!

You may need to buy some items for your room, kitchen, or bathroom. For this, try Argos. Here you can find anything from coat hangers to lamps to coffee tables. However don’t except to browse through the shop. Your perusing must be done in the catalogs. Then simply write done the product numbers of the items you would like to buy, take the list to the register. After you pay, an employee will go into the back storage room and retrieve the items of your order.



Keep posted for more tips…


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

TheWritingOnTheWallTheWritingOnTheWall
TheWritingOnTheWall

Notes from dear students!


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb