Last Days


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
August 21st 2013
Published: August 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Morning River CruiseMorning River CruiseMorning River Cruise

That big building is brand new, and is called the Shard - not the best name.
These last couple of days have been eventful. Yesterday, I decided to take a boat on the Thames to Greenwich, which is really only like 20 minutes away. Greenwich is most famous for its connection to Britain's maritime and astronomical history. The Old Royal Naval College, right off the river, is a Neoclassical monument by Sir Christopher Wren (who designed St. Paul's), and on the hill behind this is the Royal Observatory, where the Prime Meridian was first decided on and marked down, setting time and easing navigation. Greenwich also is a nice little town, just away from London that you miss out on all the chaos there. A perfect place to linger.

Today I did the unthinkable and actually took a bus tour. I didn't have a choice, though - time has run out, and since I rearranged these last 2 days, it was either this or nothing. But the nice thing with this tour was that it really was just a transport tour. They drove you around, but then you had the freedom to explore on your own. Nice this way I think. So, my all day tour covered nearly 300 miles round-trip, and I went from Salisbury
Boarding Boarding Boarding

Greenwich is 15 minutes down the river that way.
to Stonehenge to Bath to London. Definitely rushed, and the traffic back into London was absolutely horrible. It wasn't as bad, though, as the traffic I remember coming back into Bangkok a couple of years ago. I fell asleep for a couple of hours on the outskirts of Bangkok, and when I woke back up, we had only gone like 10 miles!! That time in Bangkok taught me about patience.

Salisbury was all about its grand cathedral, Stonehenge, which is just up from Salisbury, is obvious, and Bath is a quaint town famous for its Roman Bath and perfect, Neoclassical Georgian town. The best for me, though, was Stonehenge. It's world famous for a reason, and I loved it because it's one of those rare spots on Earth where no one really knows what's going on. We live in a world where we need to know everything all the time. But here, on this great plain, everyone is confused, scratching their heads. It's mysterious, and I love it because it refuses to give up its answers.

Tomorrow I head off to the airport and then back home. Because of an irresolvable scheduling conflict, though, I actually have to
Old Royal Naval College Old Royal Naval College Old Royal Naval College

Right off the river. Christopher Wren designed this.
fly back out to London in like a week or so. Look out for a few more blogs, probably 3 or so, on my time in Oxford and around. My goal is to basically stay sane for the next couple of weeks. I love travel, but this is starting to kill me.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Great Painted HallGreat Painted Hall
Great Painted Hall

In one of the domes at the College. Actually used to be the dining hall for retired naval officers.
The Painter in his PaintingThe Painter in his Painting
The Painter in his Painting

I always love when painter's do this. Sir Thornhill looking at you, saying I did this, aren't you impressed.
Chapel at College Chapel at College
Chapel at College

In the other dome. Liked the ceiling mainly.
Royal ObservatoryRoyal Observatory
Royal Observatory

Can just see it up on that hill in the distance.
The Prime Meridian The Prime Meridian
The Prime Meridian

Runs right through Greenwich. Longitude is east or west of this line.
Feet in Two Worlds Feet in Two Worlds
Feet in Two Worlds

One foot east, the other west. Straddling the Prime Meridian.
Fish and Chips Fish and Chips
Fish and Chips

I love sitting in English pubs.
Salisbury Cathedral Salisbury Cathedral
Salisbury Cathedral

Beautiful place, and the tallest spire in England.
Salisbury Nave Salisbury Nave
Salisbury Nave

My required photo.
Another Nave Shot Another Nave Shot
Another Nave Shot

This one is more by the altar. This church was built pretty fast, and I like how you can see this... by the symmetry all through the building.
In the CloisterIn the Cloister
In the Cloister

Great trees growing here.
Stonehenge!!Stonehenge!!
Stonehenge!!

About 15 minutes away from Salisbury.
More ShotsMore Shots
More Shots

Stonehenge predates everything I've seen, even the Pyramids. It was started in 6000 BC.
AnotherAnother
Another

You can only get so close. Roped off, and you walk around it from a distance of maybe 10 yards.
Farther AwayFarther Away
Farther Away

Literally just sits in a great field all by itself.
Bath's Bath Bath's Bath
Bath's Bath

Not the most original name. Roman's built this to bathe in the warm waters. Abbey in the background.
Better Bath ViewBetter Bath View
Better Bath View

Sits right over a thermal crack in the Earth - a lot like Glenwood Springs.
The Thermal CavernThe Thermal Cavern
The Thermal Cavern

Awesome - like the entrance to the underworld. Romans built this to funnel the hot water to the bath, and then out to the river.


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb