Olympic Torch Relay


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 24th 2012
Published: July 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 24th July 2012, and something special took over the town of Uxbridge, close to my home in Greater London. The Olympic torch relay was nearing the end of its journey from Athens, around Great Britain, to the Olympic stadium in Greenwich.

On a hot sunny afternoon, I went to see the spectacle along with many others, lining the streets of Uxbridge along the route of the torch relay. The crowds built up and promoters came by with blow up bang sticks, and a TV crew generated cheers from the locals dressed up in red white and blue. A blue octopus mascot came running by, and policemen had Olympic mascots in the windows of their cars and motorbikes.

The prelude to the flame was a parade of vans and cars, with sponsors playing music and getting the crowd even more hyped-up and excited! Policemen rode by on bicycles, and then of course, along came the Olympic flame, carried by ex England cricketer Michael Vaughan, waving to the crowds.

It was all very noisy and exciting, but over too quickly. It was a great occasion just three days before the start of the Olympics in London. Everyone was celebrating in good spirits, and it was great to be part of it.

The buzz in this country and especially in London is fantastic! Everyone is preparing for the London 2012 Olympic games! So many overheard conversations about the Olympics, messages from the Mayor on buses and trains, posters and adverts everywhere, houses and cars are decorated with the Union Jack, and Olympic topics are on the news everyday!

An exciting time to be in London!

JHG


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb