What a Wednesday


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
June 27th 2012
Published: June 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Clock Tower of Westminster PalaceClock Tower of Westminster PalaceClock Tower of Westminster Palace

Commonly known as Big Ben, although Big Ben is actually the name of the Bell located inside the tower. I just read in the paper today that they are going to rename the tower to Elizabeth Tower in honour of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
This morning we woke up at 8:30 and after a full day yesterday we decided to sleep in a bit longer. Of course we no longer had an alarm to go off and wake us up so we slept in a little longer than we really wanted to. We did get up for lunch though! We went to to Tesco and bought some fruit and sandwiches and water. After lunch we went to the Parliament Building and Westminster Abbey. When we went to Westminster Abbey it was after having seen some clips of Queen Elizabeth's coronation. It was interesting to see where the coronation actually took place 59 years ago, along with the coronation chair that has been used for every coronation since it was first made by Edward I. The chair was made in 1300 to enclose the Stone of Scone, which is the stone that early Scottish Kings would use in their coronation. The Stone of Scone was returned to Scotland in 1996 and is in Edinburgh Castle.

After the Abbey we wlked along the Thames and enjoyed the loveley clear weather that we have had here. We walked all the way along to the Globe Theater before heading to the London Bridge Underground station. There we found a Pasty kiosk, we decided to pick up dinner there before going back to the hotel. We arrived back at the hotel and had our still warm pastries which were very delicious!

We are going to get up early tomorrow so that we can get to Buckingham palace when it opens. We will make sure to set two alarms tonight!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Westminster Abbey 3Westminster Abbey 3
Westminster Abbey 3

The Alter, where coronations have been taking place for centuries.
Westminster Abbey 4Westminster Abbey 4
Westminster Abbey 4

This picture does not to justice to the beautiful and detailed ceiling.
Westminster Abbey 5Westminster Abbey 5
Westminster Abbey 5

He looks like he is covered in curly goat hair. It is amazing what they used to put on their tombs.
Parliament BuildingParliament Building
Parliament Building

A full view of the Parliament Building.
London EyeLondon Eye
London Eye

A huge ferris wheel along the the Thames.
ThamesThames
Thames

A view of the River Thames.
Globe TheatreGlobe Theatre
Globe Theatre

The Globe theatre is where Shakespeare debuted many of his plays.


Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0739s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb