Day 2: London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
March 6th 2011
Published: March 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It was off to Madame Tussauds this morning to see the stars young and old in wax, with quite a history of its own, Madame Tussauds originated in the late 1800's in France before moving to London where it has been ever since. From there it was off to Oxford street to buy a new phone card, what an experience, I have never seen so many people in one street at one time ever, really intimidating they just don't stop. London seems to have a life of its own and a palpable vibe or energy.

Leaving Oxford St we headed off to the "Tower" my pick of the London sights The Tower of London has a history dating back to around 1200 AD with much of the tower still as it was albeit restored over time. The crows of The Tower of London are huge and glossy black and very tame, it is said that if the crows leave the Tower the monarchy will fall, so now a number of crows are kept in the tower square in cages, the others have their wings clipped. I was fascinated with the whole history of the Tower and a current serving Yeoman chatted to us about the tower and its church, there are over 1500 people said to be buried directly under the floor of the chapel, including the some of the singer, James Blunts rellys. I could have stayed for hours there and would love to visit again one day with more time.

After leaving the tower We were met by friends of Pam, Alan and Kerry and taken to our first English pub, the Mudlark, for dinner. Who said it was expensive to eat in London! We had a huge dinner of bangers and mash for about 7 pounds each. What a great couple Alan and Kerry are and we enjoyed every minute with them, Sadly as all good things must come to an end we had to leave the jolly Mudlark pub and head off. Alan took us "on the tube' for the first time and what a fantastic transport system it is, once you know how it works, about 10 mins back to our hotel and that was changing trains once. What a day and night we had, but more was to come tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



11th March 2011

Hello there...
Hi Pam, Mark and Bree... (hope you see my comments to you).... Great reading your blogs... brings back so many memories... isn't London fantastic... and YES people EVERYWHERE!! Tower of London was one of my favs too... especially seeing those CROWN JEWELS !! and that beef eater with Bree... I think i have the same bloke in my photos too.. Hope your enjoying the campervan ?? Getting ready for our trip now... departing on Tuesday... bags half packed !! Cheers folks.. Dawn
11th March 2011

Re London
You are all having a great time, good for you, you deserve it. Great Piccys Pam and Madame Tussauds looks fantastic. So enjoy getting your blogs, look for them every day. Love always, Aunty Glenys x x x
11th March 2011

Great Blog
Certainly London has plenty of things to explore. In Madame Tussauds Museum, the wax figures are certainly amzing to see.

Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 75; dbt: 0.1012s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb