Day 8 - London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
August 13th 2009
Published: August 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our second day in London and we headed down to the changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace, which due to the number of people became a disappointment as you could not see anything, especially as people push right by you to try to get a better view themselves. After it began we walked down to St James Park for a drink whilst waiting for our Buckingham Palace Tour timeslot. We walked back up to over look the Palace as the Changing of the Guard was finishing, by this time most of the crowd had given up, and the Band and Soldiers marching right by us back to the Guard Barracks so we got to see something at least.

The Tour of Buckingham Palace was amazing. The architecture, artworks and splendour of this palace takes your breath away. It is wonderful, and well worth the entry fee.

During the afternoon we went for a walk around Oxford and Regent streets and visited one of the oldest Toy stores in the world. “Hamleys” has been around since the 1700’s and is 6 stories of some of the most exclusive toys in the world, from Teddy Bears to Dolls, Trains to Games. If your a kid and you can’t find something you like here, you won’t find it anywhere.

Following the hustle and bustle of the shopping district, we enjoyed an ice cream as we strolled through Hyde Park. A wonderful way to end a Thursday afternoon.

As I write this we are just leaving St Pacras Station on the Eurostar headed for Paris and another adventure.

My thoughts on London as we leave is that is is an expensive city to visit as a tourist with entry to most attractions 15 to 20 GBP, but well worth a short visit to experience the History. Be prepared for big crowds, especially during summer, and everyone in hurry to get anywhere while as a tourist you just want to go slow.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb