Is that a spraycan in your pocket or ...


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
June 15th 2008
Published: June 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This weekend was a little massive (I know ...) so to enjoy a relaxed Sunday I joined a couple of friends at Southbank to explore a little street/stencil art at the Cans Festival.

The Cans Festival was organised by Banksy, probably the most famous street artist at the moment. I admit I love his stuff, he has an ironic perspective and it doesn't hurt that he just get's about doing his thing while maintaining anonymity. Maybe the anonymity is his way of keeping true, or just a marketing ploy, but either way his works have a habit of springing up around London. He organised 40 local and international graffiti artists to come and decorate a crappy old tunnel underneath Waterloo Station. I'll let him tell 'his vision' in his own words ...

Graffiti doesn’t always spoil buildings. In fact, it’s the only way to improve a lot of them. In the space of a few hours with a couple of hundred cans of paint I’m hoping we can transform a dark, forgotten filth pit into an oasis of beautiful art — in a dark, forgotten filth pit.

The thing I love about the exhibition is the political commentary that the artists make which brought amusement, laughter and much discussion.

Hope you enjoy the pics as they speak far more eloquently than I could!

Love Jane x


Additional photos below
Photos: 87, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 82; dbt: 0.1321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb