Week 36 - Little Venice & Comedy Night


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
October 22nd 2007
Published: March 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Address Of The BeatlesAddress Of The BeatlesAddress Of The Beatles

Every month the graffiti is cleaned off.
Wednesday 17th October

Em got the job she applied for, nannying for a little two year old girl, Olivia. It's only about 4kms from our home, over in Camden, which beats travelling half way across London every morning to a different place each time. She beat four others that were short-listed, even though she was asking for more than the others. Must have been that Aussie charm. Good one Em! 😊


Saturday 20th October

As it was only 3kms away, we thought we'd ride down to "Little Venice" in the area - Warwick Avenue. You wouldn't have thought it, but London and the whole of England for that matter is full of canals and longboats. You could pretty much travel all over the country via the many waterways snaking their way around the country, and lots of people do. Some of them are quite fancy with their owners taking great pride in them. We found a very nice restaurant located right on the edge of a canal and enjoyed a nice Cappuccino watching the ducks and geese swim by. The location was spot on but the smallish cup didn't quite satisfy the caffeine addiction, so a pit stop at Starbucks for a soup bowl sized cup (and that was a medium!) was had, followed by a stomach ache.


Sunday 21st October

I intended on checking out the Trafalgar Festival this morning, but a late start meant by the time I got to Trafalgar Square (after getting lost and riding past Harrods twice) they were packing up. Not to worry, onwards to the old stomping ground, Clapham, to catch up with Cambo to say hello, hear the travel yarns and grab me mail. My ride back home took me past the Battersea power station, easily recognizable as being on the cover of Pink Floyd's "Animals" album. Being a fan, I had to get a quick snap, so before the oncoming traffic got too close I crossed the road and bunny hopped the curb. Well...nearly bunny hopped it. The back tyre hit the very corner of the sharp curb and instantly deflated along with my mood. But that's not all! The newly acquired £90 rim had a rather large dent in the side wall, oh no! I'm cursed! But thats not all! I still had 9 kms to go!

Well, eventually I made it home after a good hour and a half walk, absolutely knackered, but just in time to get ready to go back out to the Garrick Theatre for a comedy night. It was a selection of the finest acts from the recently held Edinburgh Fringe Festival. The first comedian used his singing voice, musical instruments and a projector to perform his show without actually speaking a word to the audience. It was certainly different and kept the audience awake. The second guy was "Ivan Brackenbury - hospital DJ", who dedicated the funniest yet most insensitive songs to various patients. eg. Simon has gone and got a Spiderman figurine stuck in his colon. Who knows how that might have gotten there....anyway this one's for you Simon........"You've got to search for the hero inside yourself...". That was just one of many 😊. After the show we walked around the West End for a while which was still quite busy, and tubed it home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Battersea Power Station (from Pink Floyds - Animals)Battersea Power Station (from Pink Floyds - Animals)
Battersea Power Station (from Pink Floyds - Animals)

This shot cost me a £90 bike wheel, please take a good look at it.


Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb