British Museum, Westminster Abbey, etc.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 17th 2007
Published: July 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Busy last day in London, and after just a little rain in the morning it turned into a beautiful, sunny day - one of the best of the trip.
We started with the British Museum on recommendation from Christopher. It was a winner - great interior design - very light. Very nice exhibits, including the Rosetta Stone!
Around noon, Jeff headed back to the hotel for internet access so he could check everyone in on the flight back home - everything went fine and we were all able to get seats together.
Then Jeff (after a little wandering) joined back up with the group at Westminster Abbey (no photos inside). Again, it is just mind-boggling how immense these interiors are, especially in height. Allison and Jeff did a guided tour, while the kids roamed on their own. Lots of famous people buried here: Queen Elizabeth I, Mary Queen of Scots, several kings including Henry VII, Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, Rudyard Kipling, Charles Dickens, Handel, Geoffrey Chaucer, ...
To finish our touring, we went to the London Eye, a very large (0ver 440 feet) 'ferris wheel' built for the millenium celebration here. After seeing it up close, Jeff and Christopher were the only ones still game to go. It was a great day to take the ride because is was so clear and the views were fantastic.
We ended the day with one of our best dinners at the Spaghetti House. Despite its rather plain name, it had a great menu and really good dinners (and desserts!). Then back to the hotel to pack for the trip home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb