Windsor Castle, Tower of London and The Ripper


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 16th 2007
Published: July 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Monday morning started out with a little rain but turned into a wonderful, dare I say sunny, day.
Jeff and Allison set out for Windsor Castle while the young adults stayed back and hung out in the hotel and Hyde Park. We got to Windsor Castle via the Underground then switched to two different trains. We were very nervous, but it turned out to be very easy. Windsor Castle was magnificent. Period. The first thing that strikes you is that it looks like what you think a castle should look like. I only could take pictures outside, and the outside was beautiful, but inside, like the State Apartments - oh .. my .. god.
It was incredibly 'royal'. There was no way any room could have been more impressive. It was worth coming to the UK just for this. I would have taken 200 pictures if I had been allowed to...
Anyway - back to the city after a few hours, where we met up with the rest of our group at the Tower of London. Here we saw, among other things: the site where Anne Boleyn (2nd wife of Henry VIII) was imprisioned and beheaded; and the Crown Jewels - and there are a lot of them. One Royal Sceptre has a 530-carat diamond near the top of it! And rings and crowns and swords and gold dishes - even a gold punch bowl that was almost three feet high and more than three feet wide! You could bath in it!!!
After the Tower, we had dinner in that area then went on a 'Jack The Ripper' walk conducted by a gentleman who is considered one of the leading experts on the subject. He was very knowledgeable and did a great job - both the girls ended up buying his book after the walk.
So it was a very long day for the old folks. But we must forge on - only one more day left!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



17th July 2007

How stange is this???
I found this website while looking for the history of the song called "Greensleeves," and there is a myth saying that henry the 8th wrote that song for Anne Boleyn....which then led me to the Tower of London where she was executed.....which then led me to Windsor Castle. A close friend of my family suffers from many different illnesses, and doesnt know his family history....his name is Edward Windsor, how interesting that the Tower of London would be connected to the Windsor Castle

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb