Shakespeare's Globe & St. Paul's


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 14th 2007
Published: July 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We had a rare, beautiful weather day. After a good breakfast we headed out to the Globe Theatre. This is a recreation of the original (which was destroyed in a fire), built just 200 yards away from where the original stood. The tour and tour guide were very good, and the exhibition hall was fascinating. We all spent a lot of time there.
Then we walked over the Thames on the Millenium Bridge to visit St. Paul's Cathedral. Wow. It was breath-taking. No photography allowed inside, so you'll have to take our word for it. We all went up about 160 steps to the first gallery - called the whispering gallery. If you face the wall and whisper something, a person on the other side (300 feet away) can hear what you said a second later. We had mixed success with this, but it did work occaisionally.
Christopher and Jeff went up another 120-odd steps to the stone gallery, which is outside at the base of the dome. Great views of the city. Christopher went up the last 150 steps to the golden gallery, which is outside and on TOP of the dome, just below the golden cross.
We also visited the crypt, where many famous people's tombs are, including: Florence Nightengale, William Blake, Lord Nelson, the Duke of Wellington, Chrisopher Wren (the architect of St. Paul's and many other famous buildings), Arthur Sullivan (of Gilbert & Sullivan), and lots of military commanders and such.
It was a nice day and much less crowded than it had been on Friday night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb