Wimbledon, Le Tour De France and Westend Shows


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 11th 2007
Published: July 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

G'day guys..

I have absolutely know idea where to start since it has being ages since I have done an update again, sorry about that, but I will try and remember most things that are kinda interesting for ya's.

I guess I'll start with last weekend and go back from there... Well we were unbelievably lucky this weekend for what we did I can tell ya. It actually properly started the weekend before when we decided to go to Wimbledon that Saturday but it rained again for the 4th weekend in a row so decided to try and go next week. It was the finals the weekend just gone so we thought we had zero chance of seeing any game at all but still we dragged ourselves out of bed at 6 on a SATURDAY morning and headed there not expecting to watch anything. Long story short we were in the first 500 in line so had the option of buying the spare tickets for the general public to go on court 1 for the day and as it just happened to be the semi finals of course we took that. It actually got better from that as well when we found out that Nadel and Bjokovic was playing there and also Sam Stosur after that then the Woodies were playing against Pat Cash in the veterans game which was properly the best game of all during the day. Pat Cash was carrying on having a laugh with the crowd and talking to everyone throwing the woodies rackets into the crowd with all the gear, it was a great laugh and very good tennis for the oldies game. The stadium was still packed to watch that game as well and everyone was just laughing there head off during the game, not what to expect at a tennis game at all. The other games we watched was Molic on a outer court in the ladies doubles semi. We turned up to watch the match and just sat down in the first row with the court 3m away and we could hear them talking to each other about the points and the plans for the game. It was so strange to be so close to the actual game like 5m away from where they were playing. The main game we watched was of course Nadal and Bjokovic and it was
First Westend showFirst Westend showFirst Westend show

Absolutly fantastic
going to be a great game with all tied up one set apiece but Bjokovic retired hurt so Nadal got an easy ride into the final. We had an absolute ball at Wimbledon considering we didn't think we would even be able to watch any games at all since it was finals time and the tickets were only 27Quid so not expensive at all. Just walking around the place just didn't seem real like we cant be at Wimbledon then all of a sudden Molic walks past us on her way to another game then we see Nadal having a hit before his game out on one of the courts. Just blew us away it did.
Well that was Saturday and to continue the sporting weekend on Sunday we went and watched the very start of Le Tour De France as for some reason for the first time in like 100 years it just happened to start in London so couldn't miss out on that at all. Well we nearly did as there was a fire alert at a underground station so I was getting worried for awhile. Got there about 5 minutes before it started and 5 min 10 sec latter we were ready to go! Once they went past there was nothing else to do so went to the Westminster Abbey and went to a service there. Again we had know idea what to expect but was good and the building inside is I'm not even going to try and explain what it is like, just amazing will do. So that is last weekend but the rest have been nothing like that really, that was just luck that one.

We went to Brighton a few weekends ago for a couple of nights to get out of London and see some country. We were hoping for some nice weather since summer is supposed to be here and I think it didn't rain for about 4 hours for the whole time we were there I think. It was still a nice place and heaps more relaxing than London and plus we got to see the coast for the first time in bloody ages even though they have rocks on the beach which was just weird. Not nice at all to walk on, give me the sand any day. The main attraction there other than the beach would have to be the Royal Pavilion. It was built by King George 5th for a place to entertain guests he had and it would have certainly not disappointed. It has a Asian design inside and the outside reminded me of India for some reason. Anyway he would like to please so much that he would have on his menu 100 different items for each meal so you could imagine the size of the kitchen and all this was a couple of hundred years ago so no chucking something in the microwave to reheat and serve here!

Properly a massive highlight for me was when on a rainy Saturday arvo we decided to just go to see our first West end broadway show. It is called Wicked and about the wizard of oz before she become a witch. Again we had know idea what on earth to expect and we were just blown away by it. I had goose bumps going down my back the whole time it was just fantastic. I thought I wouldn't have a clew what was going on during the show but the costumes, acting, effects, and exp the singing ahhhh just cant describe it. Cant wait to
Brighton BeachBrighton BeachBrighton Beach

Kylie checking out the surf well lack off
go and see our next show which will be The Lion King in a week or two from now.

We have also done a few other things as well when we get a chance and it is not actually raining over here. Went to a Cuban festival which was really good and had live acts going on all time, had a look at the Princess Dianne Memorial, got rotten drunk with Dutch for a couple of nights then Tommo a couple weeks latter and will properly again if he makes it back from the bull run, but we are mostly trying to get organized for when we go backpacking in 6 weeks today. We have kinda got a plan in place but will be altered a few times before we head off. Start in the UK for a couple of weeks including Wales then France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Italy, Croatia then Greece and have 3 months to do so. We will be doing a fair bit of backpacking and hiking so going to bye a tent shortly so all getting exiting plus the boots and all the other gear we need to get but it all costs money as well of course so trying not to spend much at the moment.

Other news over here , nothing much really. I guess you all have heard about the attacks going on over here lately. It is kinda scary and since they are expecting more very soon it is just like a waiting game before they strike again I guess. Just got to get on with things and not worry about it. Got to be sooo unlucky to be near it if it happens, I'v got hole of a plank of wood, no point worrying about it as that is what they want I think. I went and purchased a bike the other week for getting to and from work and it saves so much time, I didn't realize how much it would, 40 minutes quicker there and 35 minutes back. I've had one major crash though and would have looked awesome if watching it. A lady walked out into the street without looking and I was going fast as I could and next thing I knew I was doing a summersault over the handlebars rolling down the street while the poor lady was all tangled up in my bike. God she got abused though by people on the street, I was in a bit of a blur lying there and someone helped me up and I just fixed the chain and hoped on and kept going. I didn't click until I got to work what happened when I realized I had blood coming out of me everywhere, just the adrenalin was pumping I guess.

Well that's about all that is going on over here in London at the moment. Just trying to save money before heading away mostly which is soo hard to do with so much to do over here. We are going to try and see most of the touristy things before we leave here plus try and get to a few different markets and a couple of weekend trips away to small country towns. Work is still going good for both of us and the only bad thing about this place is that we are still waiting for summer to arrive after a couple of very wet months but that's London though.

That's all for now so take it easy everyone and I'll try and not to leave the next update so long.



Additional photos below
Photos: 57, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



13th July 2007

What a fabulous time
What a great time you're having. I totally look forwrd to opening up my email and finding your blogs, then I forward them on to Tom at his home. Cairns Hardware has totally changed, Tom not there anymore, now at Cns Wholesale Paints. We still all have drinks at Cazalys now and then to keep in touch, Pikey still the same. I forward your blogs to my home as well just in case I decide to travel in my old age, which is about now. Must have been so exciting to go to Wimbledon. Love being on your blog, Bev.
15th July 2007

Hello
Hey there, Kylie and Sluggar!! You guys shore are having a ball aren't you!! Awesome photos!! Sounds like you have been really lucky with your choice in sporting events and shows!!!! Love Erin

Tot: 0.346s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 21; qc: 47; dbt: 0.2783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb