The Trooping of the Colour


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
June 18th 2007
Published: June 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dating back to the 17th century this English parade is to celebrate the Sovereign's birthday ie. The Queen. Although the Queen's birthday is actually in April she celebrates it in June in hope of better weather. Well that was not the case this year. It was overcast, cold and rainy.
The parade is carried out by her personal troops, the Household Division, on Horse Guards Parade, with the Queen herself attending and taking the salute. Since 1987 the Queen has attended in a carriage (with a blanket on her knees this year). She used to ride side saddle in the parade up until then. That would be a sight.
It was only due to Nick seeing the parade advertised on t.v that we knew about it and decided to brave the weather to see it. I'm so glad we did. There were 1400 men, 200 horses and ten bands marching down from Buckingham Palace down the Mall to Horses Guard Parade and back again. As soon as I poked my head over the crowd I got a glimpse of the Queen in her carriage! Good timing. She was wearing a fetching lime green ensemble with hat. Phillip was wearing traditional clothes and a big furry hat like the guards.
It took some time for them to come back as they have the parade and certain lucky ticket holders attend in stands. We waited with a coffee on the grass and braved the cold.
The horses started trotting back towing some cannons used later on in the park. They just pull up at a site in Green Park and start blasting away. Too bad if it was picnic weather.
The bands were clever riding horses and playing trumpet, clarinet or even oboe while holding reins.
The Queen came back looking slightly less sour faced as she was on the way home I guess. I waved at her. The next carriage contained a very muscly looking Prince William sitting next to his step mother Camilla. I think Prince Charles was sitting opposite them but I didn't get a clear look. The next carriage was Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie who looked quite happy and waving. Wow what a buzz to get to see so many royals close up in one day!
After the event, the Royal Family gathers on the balcony of Buckingham Palace to watch an RAF flypast. We got into position and when the planes started it just decided to bucket down with heavy rain. People were screaming...hehe... including me probably. We had an umbrella luckily but it was a bit difficult to look upwards in the rain. The planes were great though with the last ones spouting colourful smoke from their tails. The Royals must of got a giggle from all the umbrellas popping up in the crowd while they were high and dry.
Apparently the following day was another parade to mark the 25th anniversary of the Falkland war but we did not go to that one.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb