Day 5 - Tower of London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
September 29th 2022
Published: September 29th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Since we sorted out the laundry situation (is there a pun in that?), we were comfortable heading out for the day. After breakfast in the hotel lounge (same thing every day - scrambled eggs, hash browns, chicken sausage, and baked beans), we hopped the tube to the Tower of London.

We walked the whole upper perimeter going up and down narrow spiral staircases in many of the external towers. We read about the murdered princes and other famous prisoners. Of course, there was a lot about Anne Bolelyn, Jane Grey and Catherine Howard. One thing that surprised me, though, was that the last execution there was in 1942 - a German spy in WWII. They make a big deal about the ravens but to me, they look like the noisy crows we get in the yard.

After the Tower, we went for lunch at the base of Tower Bridge. We walked across the Tower Bridge and Don was brave enough to walk onto the glass floor and look down at the Thames.

After the Tower Bridge, we walked over to The Shard. The Shard is the tallest building in London and is comprised of offices, the Shangri la hotel, apartments (including 3 forty million pound penthouses) and two observation decks. We sat out on the observation deck on the 68th floor and had a cocktail enjoying the view.

We’ve come back to hotel for a bit of a rest before we go out to dinner. We walked about 8.8 km so far today - and probably did about 1100 stairs!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Don on glass part of bridge.Don on glass part of bridge.
Don on glass part of bridge.

It looks like the kid behind him fell through the glass


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb