Day 6: Random happenstance


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
November 11th 2018
Published: November 23rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Last night, we were talking about our museum visits and realized tomorrow (today) was Armistice Day (celebration of the end of WWI). In fact, it was the 100-year celebration of the end of WWI. A little research led to Beyond the Deepening Shadow memorial at the Towers of London They were progressively lighting candles more candles each night in the moat. The final ceremony was today with a final lighting of 10,000 candles in recognition of the soldiers who lost their lives and all who bereaved or was affected by the war. When we arrived, the walkways were packed and after a 45-minute zig-zag were a the viewing areas. The ambience was both eerie and reverent with hymns, no other light than the candle illuminations and spot lights on the castle, and guards marching throughout the moat keeping watch. An elderly woman came up to me and asked if a guard man was actually a woman. When I said yes, she said she had never seen that before and some things “are just not right.” It took me back because here I was thinking about how great it was to see a woman out there. The scene brought on bigger thoughts that ultimately have no conclusions. It amazes me how many wars have occurred throughout time and how many people were willing to give their lives for their countries. No country is perfect and all enter into poor battles, but there are also good ideals each country stands for. Could I ever possess such a strong belief that my country’s values are so pure to be worthy of my life or take another’s? I cannot even comprehend that allegiance.I am glad people do believe so fully in our nation because at times it is necessary, righteous and admirable. However, how many people have our leaders have taken advantage of and put in harms way for ulterior motives. This memorial and other exhibits have memorialized the number of lives lost in the wars (in WWI over 800,000 British lives on just the front lines). If we took the number of people who have died in conflict or due to conflict, would it outnumber our current world population of 7.7 billion? How many of those deaths were truly for the ideals held by the soldiers? I am grateful for those willing to put themselves on the line to defend principles, but…*



*I reached my 400 word limit so that thought has to go off.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb