Day 2: Familiarity in new places


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
November 7th 2018
Published: November 20th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in London and as usual the first day is the hardest. Heavy bags, tired legs after an overnight journey, and unfamiliar with where to go. There was tube strike on the line we needed to reach Shelby's uncle's work which added an extra 45 minutes to our travel and exposure to the overground system. When we got out of the station, we got coffee mainly to have an excuse to asked for directions. He was helpful and with conviction pointed us on our way. 45 minutes later and 2 pleasant women recognizing the look of loss trying to help locate the spot, we found the coffee spot was only 40 yards from the apartment, but got sent the other direction. However, even with minor issues, there were so many home comforts: a family face to greet us (Shelby's uncle is a priest at Notre Dame and running a study abroad program in London), a tour of the area, coffee, apartment layouts, ordering protocol. We also explored Hyde Park and found so many dogs on the hunt for new smells and critters to chase (see picture of two dogs circling in on a squirrel that most certainly evaded them). The daily tasks of working out, getting ready for the next day, and finding food for dinner, people walking dogs. No matter where you are there is certain to be the mundane, the new, the comfort of consistency, and the unexpected mishaps sometimes it is just a little harder to find and handle.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb