Golden balls


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Wembley
February 6th 2008
Published: July 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Soon after watching Arsenals dazzling displays I was offered tickets by my mate Pecky to watch England v Switzerland. I leapt at the opportunity, well more like said yes and he said ok I'll get you a ticket. I don't leap at opportunities ever since I pulled a muscle. Anyway I was looking forward to the match as it was Fabio Cappello's first game in charge as the new gaffer (pommy slang for coach) and if David Beckham played it would be his 100th international cap. Sadly Cappello thought Beckham was rusty, his golden balls must have taken on a copper-bronze hue.

The train on the way to the game was cozy (or bloody packed to the layperson). After filling up on pre match hotdogs and beers we found our seats. Wembley is an impressive stadium and by kickoff was near its full capacity of 90,000. Seeing as it was the first international England had played in quite a few months they were a tad rusty. Joe Cole and Wayne Rooney looked the best of the lot and created a few chances. Half time came and the score read 0-0.

I witnessed something disgusting at half time when going to the toilet. A grown man peeing all over the wall. I couldn't tell if he was drunk, busting or a few cans short of a sixpack. But when he walked towards us to exit and hadn't washed his hands he got given a very wide berth.

England made a few subs and must have got a good half time speech as they picked up their game in the second half. Goals were scored by Jermaine Jenas and Shaun Wright Phillips. The Swiss pulled one back but England held on for a 2-1 scoreline. The walk from the stadium to the train station is a short one but when there's 87,000 people all trying to get there then it sure takes a while.

Note:Beckham has since played his 100th cap, his balls once more a resplendant gold.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb