Literary Walk around Southwark


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Southwark
June 4th 2022
Published: June 4th 2022
Edit Blog Post

On 1 June I started the walk from Blackfriars Station where I finished two days ago. From Blackfrairs Bridge, there were remains of the old bridge paralleled with the current railway bridge – and having looked at the monument, I understood that the old railway bridge used for London Chetham and Dover Railway.

As soon as reaching the south bankside, I walked down and headed for the riverside walk via Founders Arm Public House and Bankside gallery. I had a nice snack at Founders Arm Public House. Afterwards, I walked on the Queen’s Walk and passed Tate Britain, Globe Theatre, and turned right to Bear Gardens. There were a number of modern buildings on the back of the Glove Theatre and they looked intriguing with brick buildings.

After briefly passing Summer Street, I was directed to walk southwards on Great Guildford Street. After passing under the railway bridge, Union Street, I found the street called David Copperfield Street. This non-touristic area had a glimpse sense of Dickensian feel – is riddled with Dickens references, commemorating both the writer’s short stay and characters from David Copperfield, Little Dorrit and the Pickwick Papers. I also found the school gate named Charles
bankside bankside bankside

People were making big bubbles in the sunny afternoon on 1 June
Dickens Primary School near Lant Street, which was built after his death and named in his honour.

I then walked towards Borough Station and walked northwards on Borough High Street. In contrast with the description of the guide book – there were not very many restaurants in the middle of this walk around Borough station – there were indeed quite a few restaurants/cafes/takeaway shops, which I believe have been established recently. I saw great many food stalls in the Borough Market and lovely sweet and chocolate shops near Borough Market and Southwark Cathedral.

It is very interesting to see some ancient/medieval remains, e.g. Roman wall, medieval prison, Clink Prison Museum, among stylish restaurants converted from warehouses near Southwark Cathedral.

On the back of the cathedral, there were surviving Victorian steps and arch, which were used for the scene of the murder in Charles Dickens, Oliver Twist. Walking down Tooley Street, it led me to London Bridge Station and a lovely shopping district of Hay’s Galleria. Just off the walking course, I walked to the viewpoints of H.M.S Belfast, Tower Hill and Tower Hill Bridge. I then ambled through the Queen walk, climbed up to London Bridge and headed for Monument, which was the end of the course.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Victorian steps on Tooley StreetVictorian steps on Tooley Street
Victorian steps on Tooley Street

These steps were surviving Victorian steps which were used for the scene of the murder in Charles Dickens' novel, Oliver Twist
H.M.S Belfast H.M.S Belfast
H.M.S Belfast

It wasn't far to go to H.M.S Belfast and view point for Tower Hill Bridge.


Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb