Victorian imperialism


Advertisement
Published: April 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Overwhelmed by Victorian pomposity;baroque, roccoco, romanesque, byzantine and modern design, and ultimately aching hips I took a seat looking down the Sacred Silver and Stained Glass Collection Room and contemplated the amassing of all these art and design treasures in the magnificent Victoria and Albert Museum.

Colonialism, imperialism and conviction of unshakeable right has allowed us to see such diverse pieces as the incredible Ardabil silken carpet, an example of Iranian artistry of the 1530s, to Tipu's Tiger, a mechanical wooden sculpture from the 1790s in India.

Ethics cast aside one is able to marvel at an Italian chapel, a French medieval staircase and Chinese statuary.

So here we have Art and Design over the centuries. Built or created to impress, to advertise wealth and promote greed of ownership.

Avarice never having been one of my faults I just looked and wondered. The stunning Ardabil carpet woven in the 1530s with about 5,300 knots to every 10 cms retains its colour and is carefully shown in low light only on the hour and half hour for a few minutes. A good excuse to sit on a bench surrounding the 'large rug' and gawk at other Persian artefacts.

Sitting later in the sumptiously decorated cafe serenaded by a young pianist (they all seem young these days!) we consumed surprisingly fresh and interesting food. A prawn and lemon wrap with mint and sun-dried tomatoes plus 2 salads, chick-pea and aubergine and celery and cucumber together with homemade vinaigrette energised me and gave me a welcome moment to contemplate the amalgamation of the styles in the room from the glowing snowball chandeliers to the curlicued columns coated in gilded enamel.

As wonderful as it all was I recalled an artist friend saying that there were far too many paintings in the world and it would be best for him to destroy all of his. Visions of going on a rampage, smashing and destroying fleetingly entered my brain. I was left aching for simple design, form and function; rebellion against the filigreed silver, the inlaid furniture and the enamelled snuffboxes. Too much, too much, I cried, and made it outside to the Spring lime-greening, the cool air and the challenges of the tube.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



16th April 2012

Loved your insights.....and photos. Inspired me to visit when I am home. Tryall 2013....hope you and Graham can make it.

Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 26; qc: 105; dbt: 0.0967s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb