London Life


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Richmond
July 12th 2005
Published: August 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Noon

Saw the tail-end of the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. I actually got into it and found it very cool to see our Monarch's residence. But these guards look so much like toy soldiers I don't know how anyone could take them seriously. As John reminded me, we have toy soldier Christmas tree ornaments and if they're hangimg on our tree then I don't see how they can adequately protect the Queen! It is amazing how controlled their movements are. Amazing - but what a boring job. We saw them stand, walk a few steps, stand and then walk a few more back to the little huts they stand in. There must be different ranks of guards b/c the lower ones had to pick up the music stands after the marching band left. I guess the brass ring is getting the gig in the little huts in front of the palace.

2pm

Pub food sucks. We've done it 3x w/ bangers and mash, shepherd's pie and fish n' chips but it's all bad mushy slop. Beer's good tho. Atmosphere too. Sitting at The Nag's Head (John's dedication to me after 3 days of travelling together!) and you can feel the ghosts of travellers gone by who must've hitched their horses in the outside mews to come in for shelter and a pint. So word to future London travellers: go to the pub for a pint but hold off on the food!


6:00pm

Sitting at the Meriden Hotel bar b/c I was a little cranky due to the inability for easy movement from Harrods to anywhere with the partial closure of the tube lines. Apparently, they arrested one of the bombers so that's all good but Mr. Bin Laden has made it very difficult to get around. The locals seem to be carrying on just fine but it's definitely impacted public transit. The Picadilly line tube is compromised, buses are packed and cabs are impossible to hail.

Anyway, John is enjoying a Stella Artois while I enjoy my first pinot noir in London. I was trying to stick to a purely English (ie Ale) experience but a red wine fix was in order. Had a great time in Knightsbridge shopping at Harrods and all places nearby. You name it, they got it but the sizing is wacked. Apparently, my feet are SMALLER here - they're a mere size 4!! Doesn't much matter b/c with the exchange rate it's hard to justify even the cutest pair of shoes. It's soooooo expensive here! Shopping will have to wait for France and Italy where there is actually some style! Don't even get me started on the fashion sense here.

8pm

John is happier now b/c Di is MUCH happier after discovering Covent Garden. This is more what I pictured!! Lots of restaurants, mews, shops, activity. We LOVE it here! About to eat our first non-English meal - Italian, of course at "Pasta Browns". The perfect end to today. Tomorrow we meet John's cousin Paul. And we're coming back to Covent Garden to explore.

Miss you all!!

P.S. Pulled my 1st cord to flush tonight. The experiences never end.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0981s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb