Day 1 in London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
February 3rd 2012
Published: February 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I AM IN LONDON! After train delays and changed plans, I am in one of the most spectacular cities in the world. I arrived just in time to catch a cab to the Criterian Theater to see "The 39 Steps" with Amy Soukup. With 5 minutes to spare, we both checked in our bags and found our seats. The theater was right on the Picaddily Circus and while small, had beautiful architecture and flair.

The show was absolutely phenomenal!! It was a comedy based on Alfred Hitchcock's drama, "The 39 Steps." There were only four actors. The main character, Richard, stayed the same the whole time. He looked almost exactly like Cary Elwes from the Princess Bride. The other three kept switching characters by changing their clothes, voices, or poistion on stage. Sometimes they did conversations between several people and they just kept changing their hats. I was dying of laughter throughout the entire show watching their antics.

The play was not only minimalist in actors but in props as well. A bench went from being a train to a podium to a bed to a log. There was a scene where they used shadow puppets to show what was happening. Richard was getting chased down a hill by the police. Then he crossed a lake by riding the Lock Ness monster across, and got away by riding a deer to safety.

Overall, I think it was one of the best plays I have ever seen. I was laughing and smiling the whole time; not a second passed without a grin. The acting was amazing and I cannot imagine having to memorize all of those lines while acting out all those different characters.

Afterwards, we rode the underground and then walked to our hostel. We grabbed some Indian takeout for dinner. It was a big adventure finding the hostel. It was dark and the gates to Holland Park (which our hostel was in) were locked. We walked down a path, but turned back when all we saw were gates. We walked all around the edge of the park before finally getting in through the car park. We then walked through the park, before finally finding the entrance to the hostel. Unfortunately, it was the day entrance and we had to hop a fence to get to the night one. The night entrance was convieniently located at the end of the path we were on originally. Oh, cruel fate.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0772s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb