British Library


Advertisement
Published: July 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Two copies of the Magna Carta ... sounds like a credit card eh ... but an early attempt at limiting the power of the King by the Barrons ignoring the mass of the population ... tax cuts for the rich while ignoring the common masses ... wasn't that George Bush (without the H.) and the republican party's platform in practice too?

Separate Philatelic collections ... but surprisingly none concentrating on the British Commonwealth. The Complete Polish collection during the WWII would have E..'s dad spending hours looking at each and every stamp. Too bad we weren't allowed to take photos.

The Guttenburg Bible from almost a Millennium ago. Early Eastern printing from two Millennia ago. The Chinese may have invented printing, but their technology was not easy to commercialize. ... early maps with the East as the Orient (i.e. At the top) and Jerusalem at the centre ... does that mean the North Pole is the new Orient? And great interactive exhibits where you can electronically flip and magnify lambskin and papyrus parchment without damaging the originals.

W.. was most interested in the alarms and monitors and figuring out how to defeat the temperature control systems inside the display cases. He said, “what if the room is cooled to the same temperature as the inside of the display case?” He figured the alarm wouldn't ring in that scenario if the display case was opened. N.. pointed out that there was CCTV everywhere and probably touch sensitive pads under each exhibit inside the display cases.

Oh yes. Don't forget the music originals, including a Beetles (more like John Lennon) collection of the original song writing - mostly on scraps of paper.

Wow!

Spent the evening with N..'s nephew having a curry meal at a Bengali street restaurant off Liverpool station and then walked around the financial city centre ending up in seeing Kensington palace.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb