The End is Near


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
August 25th 2008
Published: August 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On Thursday night, we left Galway and headed for Dublin. Sherrie's tour returned an hour late and she was literally running for the train but no worries, she had at least 2 minutes to spare. This was the last day our train pass was valid and conveniently, the last day we needed it. We arrived in Dublin around 9:00pm and checked into our hostel. This hostel was very organized and well run (Abbey Court). They had a place to lock up our passports and had bins under the beds which locked as well. We went out to check out some of then nightlife and live music as well. It was a fun night!

Friday Sherrie headed to the Wicklow Mountains on a tour. She had a great day and loved the tour. The group she was with was very small and that added to the enjoyment. I spent the day in Dublin. I went on the city tour bus and went to various spots such as Trinity College and St. Stephens Green - a huge garden/park where I could have spent hours. That night we went to dinner with a girl from Mississauga. She was very nice. There was a live band as well as Irish dancers at the pub we went to. This couple could dance. We think they travel from pub to pub each night and perform. Their performance only takes about 20 minutes and then they move on. It was very impressive.

On Saturday, we flew out of Dublin. At this time, Sherrie headed back to Birmingham to spent the weekend with friends. I headed to London for the last bit of sightseeing.

Sunday started early and I was in the first group through Buckingham Palace. It was amazing. It was even grander than I anticipated. For the first time ever, they have a state room set for a banquet. Wow. It was incredible. (Unfortunately, due to security, you are not allowed to take pictures inside.) Each person gets a minimum of 6 glasses. One for 1) water, 2) white wine, 3) red wine, 4) champagne for the toast, 5) ?, 6) port. On the audio tour, it goes through and shows you how they set the tables and the number of people involved. It is quite evident why they only have 2 state dinners a year. Every glass and dish is washed by hand - no automatic dish washers are used. I thought the Queen would be able to afford a really good dishwasher that would not leave spots but apparently the china and stemware is more valuable than mine. The entire building was maginificent.

My next stop was at the Royal Mews (stables). I think Dad would have even liked this tour. I just happened to arrive at a time when a free tour was offered. Our guide was Martin and he lived for the Mews. He could have spent the entire day talking to us but he was limited to 1 hours. He told us he regularly gets in trouble for taking too long on his tours. He started by showing us the carriages - the first was the one Princess Diana used to get married. He explained how perfectly they time things so everything happens like clockwork. Apparently for Diana's wedding, they had everything timed out perfect and had done the route 3 times. Everything was set until Diana's office sent a memo stating that she would be a 'true' English bride and show up 30 minutes late. I think more than a couple people freaked out about this. In the end, they comprised and she was only 30 seconds late. We then went into the traditional area where the original stalls were. Each horses' name was on the wall, as well as his birth year. Their oldest horse is 22, which apparently is quite impressive. This stable (which no longer houses horses) had older carriages and such things. It contains a sleigh (which has been put on wheels) which was given to the Queen from Canada. It is decorated with tacky tinsel and lights. Each year, a children's Christmas party is held in the Mews and Father Christmas arrives with the presents on the sleigh. We next were taken to see the Golden Carriage. It was incredible. It weighs an unbelievable 4 tonnes and takes 8 horses to pull. The last time it was used was for the Queen's Jubilee. In order to get it out they basically have to take down part of a wall, including an arched window. Since the Queen is on holidays in Scotland, most of her horses are away as well. There were four there - 2 greys and 2 others. I cannot remember their proper names. Two horses were white-grey and two were brown.

After that, I headed to Kensington Palace. I did not go in the Palace but walked around the gardens and saw Princess Diana's Memorial Fountain. It is a happy place, where kids and adults are encouraged to roll up their pants and stick their feet in the water.

On Monday, I went with my 3 roommates (from the hostel) to the Hop On, Hop Off bus for London. It was good, however, our live guide we wanted to toss. She had some control issues (I readily recongize these) and yelled at people. It was quite humorous. We went on a river cruise as well. I toured Westminister Abbey today. For those of you who are not so excited about the Royal family, this is the church where everyone (Royality) is married and buried. It is beautiful. I then headed to the London Eye, which is basically a huge slow moving ferris wheel that allows you to get a bird's eye view of the city. I then went and checked out Harrods. It is quite the store. I could afford a cookie from the bakery and that was about it. It was very interesting and crazy busy. Today was a Bank holiday so that might have added to the crowds.

Tomorrow I am taking the train to Birmingham where I will meet up with Sherrie. Wednesday morning we will head to the airport. As long as all goes well, we will be in Toronto around 4:00pm. Cannot wait.

Sorry there are no pictures. That is Sherrie's job.

Steph (and Sherrie)


Advertisement



26th August 2008

Almost HOME!
Hi Steph and Sherrie. I just wanted to write you a quick note to wish you a safe trip home. Can't wait to see the two of you and hear more in person!
26th August 2008

London
My feet were sore just reading about your time in London. Have a good trip home.

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb