Wednesday 5 December 2018; What a Dickens of a day that proved to be!!

United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Kensington
December 6th 2018
Published: December 7th 2018
Edit Blog Post

As our flight from Sydney to London (LHR) via Dubai was due to leave at 6am we stayed overnight at the Rydges airport hotel with the alarm set for 3am. Well that part all went smoothly and with only a two hour changeover time at Dubai, there were no complaints there either. By the time the Heathrow Express depostited us at Paddington Station it was after 8pm, whereafter we caught a taxi to the Holiday Inn London Kensington Forum and where we were so much looking forward to getting into a lovely comfy bed. But it wasn't that easy; that's when the fun started!

For some reason Kev seemed to think that we weren't due to arrive in London until Thursday 6th - rather than late on Wednesday 5th - so that's the date he'd booked the hotel from. As bad luck would have it, the place was fully booked so they couldn't fit us in a day earlier than we'd booked! Why I hadn't twigged that we weren't flying from somewhere like LA to Sydney and crossing the international dateline I'll never know. As you can imagine I've been dirty on myself ever since then for not thinking it all through properly and just taking Kev's word for it!!

The offshoot of all that was that it took us ages to find another hotel - which was miles away and not far from Hampton Court Palace - for just the one night so that meant it was close to midnight before we finally got to bed!! I hope we've now learnt our lesson!!! But, as with everything, there was a positive side to this fiasco as our taxi driver who took us back to the hotel we were a booked into drove us through Richmond Park. The largest of London's Royal Parks, it was created by Charles 1 in the 17th Century as a deer park. Originally for the use of English monarchs only, it has been public open space since the mid 19th Century and is around three times the size of New York's Central Park.

This meant that it was actually around 1.30pm on Thursday 6th before we were finally able to book into the hotel which is just down the road from the Victoria and Albert Museum where I wanted to do some research into dad's music hall past at the V & A theatre records centre so we headed off there once we'd settled into our room. Not only was I able to sort that out - although it still remains to be seen whether or not I'll have access to the theatre records - we also had a bit of a look around various exhibits, enjoyed afternoon tea there before having a quick look inside the Natural History Museum and watch some ice skating.

A delicious evening meal at an Italian restaurant closed the day.

Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Tot: 1.735s; Tpl: 0.048s; cc: 15; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 3; ; mem: 1.4mb