London Week One


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Islington
January 22nd 2012
Published: January 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

I was dragged out of Paris kicking and screaming. I never wanted to leave but London was calling and my Eurostar ticket booked. The trip under the channel was uneventful and all too short. We all wanted to sit and enjoy the trip but two and a half hours is just not long enough. After the initially bum fight to get our bags on board with the hundreds of others it was very comfortable. I found it amusing prior to leaving that we went through immigration with French men and their beautiful accent and then after 3-metres hit the English immigration with 2 women with what sounded like the broadest English accent I had ever heard. Arriving at Kings Cross was strange hearing English surrounding us after over 2 months in Italy, Spain and France. The station is huge and we eventually found the taxi rank where I piled Ian in with ALL the luggage and 3 kids while I took Zara and Bella on the tube to our new home in Islington.

The flat is a 3 bedroom apartment in a great area of Islington. The area is full of pubs and restaurants and a few great shops, near the tube and multiple buses and to top it off walking distance to Emirates stadium (The Arsenal Ground).

Our first full day saw us doing the sites. Saw the Tower Bridge, London Tower, the river Thames, St Pauls Cathedral and Covent Gardens. We were walking past Shrek the Musical and were just discussing if this would be a good option for us to see, when a guy offered us 7 tickets for 100 pounds. How could we say no? So with minutes to spare we were ushered into our seats for our first London Theatre experience. What a show, all blown away and inspired to see more. The next morning we found ourselves in front of a discount ticket seller buying tickets for Mama Mia, Legally Blonde and Stomp for all of us and The Woman in Black for me and Ian and this was only the first week. The performances have all been incredible, all different and all an experience. The Woman in Black was great to see as it is not a musical, not a comedy and with only 2 actors you are transported into their world and had us sitting on the edge of our seat. We would have loved to have found something similar for the kids but the musicals are aimed at them. Hamish could have seen it but the others are too young. After the show we found ourselves having a few beers with 2 couples from England and Ireland and ended up clubbing after the pubs shut. It has been a long time since I have had my wrist stamped in a club.

The rest of the first week has been just experiencing London, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, St James Park, Green Park, shops and finding all the streets on the Monopoly board. The kids have become independent on the tube to the point we lost Bella again….yes she ended up not getting off with the rest of us and going onto the next station. Luckily we had put in place a plan for this in Madrid and Paris and she knew we would find her so she just waited until Ian caught up (but not before security and tube police had become involved).

Ian took us all to an FA cup game, QPR vs Milton Keyne Dons. One of the best games I have been to as the crowd was hysterical. They love their team and scream at them like family. Had a great giggle and all got involved. Ian and Hamish did go and see West Ham vs Nottingham forest and I am told it was another fun game. Unfortunately they could not get the Arsenal tickets but will go and do the tour and have already emptied the store.

Our last week will begin and end quick enough. Getting so close to home, cannot believe it is all coming to an end. Keep walking past places and thinking we are in London and have been to so many places and seen so many things it is really too hard to believe. Think it will only hit home when back and have a chance to take it all in.


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb