Fenton House


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Hampstead
December 1st 2010
Published: December 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

A charming 17th century brick house, i.e. Fenton House, stands among the Hampstead village on the Hampstead Grove, which is along the Holly Hill, off High Street.

The brick house was initially built in 1686. The wealthy merchant, Philip Fenton bought the house in 1793 and his nephew James named the mansion Fenton House. You will find the portrait of James Fenton in the entrance hall.

There were a number of residents and servants lived between 1793 and the beginning of the 20th century. Nevertheless, it is said that the features of the architecture of the house has been almost unchanged during more than 300 years of occupation. The last resident was Mrs Billing. She gave the property and contents to the National Trust in 1952. Her memorabilia and collections include oriental, English, and German porcelain, aroma stands, stationery items, embroidery works, carvings, and mahogany furniture, all of which are displayed in the showrooms. Don’t miss out seeing Benton Fletcher Collection of early keyboard instruments, e.g. harpsichords, clavichords, in the showrooms.

The features of the garden have also been unchanged since 1756. The walled garden has an apple orchard, kitchen garden, herb garden, rose garden, and herbaceous border, which is a typical urban style garden with displays of flowers and cultivation. Benches are provided in an orderly position so that visitors can rest and view the garden whilst strolling through the lovely garden.


Advertisement



1st December 2010

Nice
What a beautiful place coupled with such a rich history. We have nothing like this on the west coast of the United States.

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb