Snow day!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Hammersmith
February 2nd 2009
Published: February 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

You wouldn't believe the amount of snow we had within 24 hours to mark the start of February. In fact you could make snow balls within 20 minutes of the first flake.

We were out having dinner with a few other Aussies and Kiwis in Hammersmith when it started, and on the way home our street was full of people taking photos! Even the locals were amazed.

Unluckily (or luckily) it was the worst snow the UK had seen in 19 years, and so on Monday, it was no surprise that all public transport was out. Six million people were stuck at home that day, with three feet of snow bringing London and much of the UK to a standstill.

One of my colleagues walked an epic two hours to work each way, but darned if I was doing that! We walked down by the Thames in the afternoon, and it looked like a whole new world down there.

The roads and rail had cleared enough to go to work on Tuesday, darn it all. But it took a good week for the snow to clear completely, as you'll see in the photos of Little Venice taken near my work three days after.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb