Last day in London!!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Clapham
June 8th 2009
Published: June 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Woke up pretty late today!.Ashley and Al had plans to go play Squash with another couple at 11, so they had to leave around 10 and wanted to make a big breakfast before. Hang overs always seem to get in the way of these kinda plans. Luckily it wasnt their faults for plans to be cancelled today. Lol i went downstairs in abit of a rush to see them still in their pajamas, and I was shocked. I thought they slept in for sure after last night. But no it was the other people who cancelled! Very good for me cause I was at fault for sleeping in. So we, or rather Ash made a huge breakfast of French Toast with strawberries, and Canadian maple syrup and real coffee for once!! Tasty tasty, then I did some laundry and hung it all up to dry for the day because I had to leave that night. I told them that one of the only things that I really wanted to do was to see Speakers Corner. I was really lucky as well because they only do it on Sundays I was told.
Then it was only a short walk to Harrods from there so we had a plan, and they werent busy so they would show me around. Very nice to have tour guides. Lucky guy, I couldnt have asked for better hosts either. I must say this whole trip I have had great hosts. Everyone has been amazing so far. Really everyone I appreciate it so much and hopefully I can repay you sometime with the same respect.
So off we went on the Tube to Speakers Corner to witness the madness. It was around 130 and there were tons of people out and about in Hyde Park. Some relaxing in the summers heat, some playing football in a circle, and others standing around listening to somebody shout about their personal beliefs. Wow lotsa swearing and yelling going on around here. Once I figure out how to put videos on I will show you this crazy Jamacian guy talking about Obama and how everyone, shouldnt be so quick to trust him and his policies. Fair enough just cause its a nice change doesnt mean there really is gonna be any actual change. Really strong speaker though almost like his words were fighting your ear drums. I went around and saw the different speakers while Al and Ash stuck around this guy. Most of the speakers were all talking about religion, and I guess it was Sunday! One of the speakers there was mocking another guys speach. He was saying you Socialist will never get it. The speaker asked him what he kept bugging him for, and the man screamed I have come to put your beliefs into the ground once and for all because Socialism does not work and never will. So after we had enough of that, we set off through Hyde Park.
I was picturing 1969, because this was the very spot where the Rolling Stones, who like many other bands played a HUGE free concert here with the Hells Angles as their security! I think people actually died there. Crazyness. Neil Young, Ben Harper,Dave Matthews, and Bruce Springsteen are playing here in a month at something called Hard Rock in the Park. I wish I could be here for that, I think it would be amazing just to be here and hear the music. Maybe
Anyways we walked from one corner to the end by a man made lake, where you could rent boats, and a horse track that went around some of the park. We stopped by this spot where some squirrels were hanging out to see them because Al had never really seen too many up close.Not something very unusual back home, thats for sure.They even went up his leg to get a piece of granola bar. Soon after that the pigeons swarmed us. We left the park and turned right because Ash said she directed many people to Harrods when she was working down here, but we had to stop and ask people how to get there anyway haha.Saw a Ferrari i think it was an Enzo! Not too many of those suckers around. Found the mall,and started on through the many many many different shops.If you know me at all, you know that malls are not really my thing. Other than lots of overpriced crap there was a few cool things to see. This Egyptian hall was absolutely amazing. Marble everything with statues everywhere. I heard this brilliant voice in the backround of the busy voices all around. It was getting louder and louder as we went up towards the top floor. There was this lady singing Opera verses from a balcony it was picturesque. Like we were in some kind of play. Really impressed by that. At the bottom of that stairwell was Diana and Dodis memorial where we stopped and payed homage to the tragedy. We went through this one shop where they had expensive games. They had a gold foosball table, tonsa gold chess sets, poker sets, and even monopoly boards. Rich people eh.
Al wanted us to try what he says is the BEST HOT CHOCOLATE IN THE WORLD. We had to wait to be seated in this fancy cafe place. 7 Pounds a cup it was definetly the most expensive Ive ever had. Ash and I shared a chocolate cake as well. The other cool shop I saw was a wicked Art Gallery with some pieces by Picasso, and even Bob Dylan believe it or not!.
Then after we took the tube to Covent Gardens where they had a market with shops everywhere selling differnt things. Very touristy for sure. Buskers everywhere. We stopped to watch this one guy who was the worlds only Chineese Aussie Jew busker.He balanced a 15 ft pole on his head.He asked for big strong volunteers and Al and I ducked away in the crowd.Ha I think Ashley wanted to volunteer cause she stuck around in the front. After we left to see a surprise. It was an Aussie Kiwi Canadian specialty store where they sold Kraft Dinner ,Marshmellows,Sleemans Beer, and even Twizzlers which Ash bought. Right beside there was the only Canadian Pub in Britain I think. Hockey jerseys all over the place! Kinda corny but cool at the same time. It was meant to look like a cabin or something. Then we walked down the alley through to Trafalgar Square, where the Canadian Embassy was and the National gallery. I kinda wanted to check out the Gallery quick and it was only open for 30 more mins so we took a look. Saw some amazing stuff there.Leonarda da Vinci,Monet,Michaelanglo,Raphael,Van Gogh,Picasso to name a few! I got a few blurry pics but it was really tough because security was keeping a close eye. Then we walked past the gate to Buckingham Palace.Cricket was on again and Al really wanted to see some of England vs Pakistan because if England lost they were out. So we stopped at an Aussie bar beside the Thames and watched it with some cokes and way too many wedges.
After we took the tube down to London Tower. The clouds were angry as you might be able to tell in the picture! I was getting worried about my poor laundry outside back at Ashleys place. The roomies never answered their phone to put them either!! Oh well onwards we went past the castle and over TowerB rge.ool to see that although their werent any fresh heads hung on the bridge. I guess the passed a law awhile ago to stop all that!! Got a few good pics of it as well. Then we kept on to London bridge where the Dungeon was and other touristy crap.We definetly got our moneys worth today on the train every time we kept putting our cards through the machine. We probably took 20 trains that day. Ha
Got back to Clapham Junction and I had to find a internet cafe to print out the bus ticket I bought. I had to leave for the airport that night because my flight was at 6am and I had to be a couple hours early anyways,so I figured the sooner the better. Found one no problem, printed it out and went back to their place for some dinner. They were talking about going out but I convinced them to just go back to the house and relax after a long long day. Time flew by when we got back there.We had dinner got a qjuick picture and I was already late to make it to Victoria Station by 1130. It was 10 after and I just said my goodbyes. I really wanted them to know how thankful I was for showing me an amazing time but it was cut really short. Hopefully when they move back to Canada I can take them out sometime. Al wants to see a hockey game so thats the plan; SO with my bag strapped tight to my back I ran my ass all the way to Clapham and I got there in 3 mins. Train didnt come for 7 mins though. Ha so I was already out of breathe and this guy beside me was asking me why I looked so stressed. I told him I have to make a bus. I told him I had to make it to Victoria in 15 mins to catch a bus. He told me your fucked dont worry about it. I could tell he had been on the booze. He kept saying fucking sundays. Ha so I thought for sure I just wasted 10 pounds which wasnt that bad on this bus ticket. I would never make it but, god help me I was gonna try!! So as soon as we stopped I started running my ass towards the bus station which I was quite familiar with now being there 5 times already. The bag got heavier and heavier each step I was breathing very heavy but I wasnt stopping NO WAY. I was gonna make it and if I saw the bus on the way there I woulld jump in front of it haha. So I got to the bus depot and I was DEAD. I couldnt believe my luck there was a line to get on!!! YESSSSSSSSS I made it I needed a picture to remember this great achievement hahaha. It took me about 15 mins to cool down and quite breathing so heavy. Meanwhile the bus driver tells me Oh the bus runs 24 hours. Ha and it dawns on me that was the last bus before the end of the day. SHIT oh well i still would have wasted the money on the ticket which is specific to the time. I met a nice gril on the bus who said she had a hell of a time making this bus as well. We talked for a bit, her plane was leaving to Rome at 6 am as well. I brought up a conversation about the girl in Laos who was to be put to death, but settled for life in prison because she had self inseminated herself in prison. Well as soon as the girl with dreads in front of me heard I said that she turns around and says She was raped!! I felt pretty bad because there was no evidence for either argument yet and I didnt want to offend anyone. So it was definetly a dull few mins from there on in. After like 10 mins I started talking small talk to the girl next to me about Italy and travelling. She told me not to worry she shouldnt have been listening anyways.
We got to the airport and there was people everywhere sleeping on the ground on their foam mattresses. HA i was a bit tired cause it was 130 now but i wasnt gonna be able to sleep for sure in worry about my bag. So I read my book that I bought at the library about Rome. Read that for about 2 hrs while everyone around me was either chatting and playing cards or sleeping. They had internet access and there was a cafe but I only had like 4 pounds left and if youve ever been to Britain that doesnt get you far. 1 pound for 10 mins ouch. So I talked to Martin on the comp cause he was on. He tells me now your trip really begins because you cant speak the language. I think he might be on to something!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 30


Advertisement

Best hot chocolate in the worldBest hot chocolate in the world
Best hot chocolate in the world

Alan claims at least it is the most expensive 6 Pounds each
Diana and DodiDiana and Dodi
Diana and Dodi

bottom of the Egypt stairwell
Harrod signHarrod sign
Harrod sign

too bad it wasnt dark


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb