Botswana Wild Days 22-24 - Oct 19-21


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Camden Town
November 13th 2009
Published: November 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A Football Game, Touring Whitehall & Westminster


Nothing like walking around to cure jet lag, although there was only one hour's difference between Livingstone Zambia and London, so there wasn't as much jet lag as there was just plain lack of sleep from the plane flight. In any case, we decided that a London walkabout was the thing to do.

We were spending our last week away from home with our newly-married daughter and son-in-law. What a nice flat they have, and with a convenient extra bedroom, which we very much appreciated, given that accommodation in London is exorbitantly expensive.

It was Richard's wish to attend a football game (soccer in North America), so lucky us, the Queens Park Rangers were playing Reading in Shepherd's Bush. Leanne & Brad had reserved tickets. It was an experience to remember. Incredibly loud cheering from what were obvious regulars at the game, interspersed with taunting and jeering mostly aimed at the Reading fans. A few over-exuberant fans were summarily thrown out. And QPR won the game 4-1. After the game, no riots, no fighting, just 12,000 people pouring out into the streets to head on over the the local pubs, or to home. Apparently, this is not how some games end, depending on who is playing who. Unfortunately, Kayla had decided not to bring the camera, so we have only words and no pictures to tell the story.

While in London this week, we were using some extra Oyster Cards that Brad & Leanne had for visitors. This is really the only way to get around London - just tap your card and go. Top up at the machines when necessary. The same goes for their extra phone, which can also be topped up as needed.

After catching up on our travel blog in the morning, we left Brad & Leanne's, walked to the Camden Town tube stop, got off at Trafalgar Square, and proceeded to walk wherever the spirit took us, snapping photos along the way like true tourists. We enjoyed walking around the usual tourist spots in the off season. It was nice fall weather, surprisingly warmer than we expected, and very pleasant for walking around. Then it was back to Leanne & Brad's flat, stopping at Sainsbury's on the way for groceries.



Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Red Lion PubRed Lion Pub
Red Lion Pub

Lunch on the street
Big BenBig Ben
Big Ben

Too much renovation scaffolding to be a beautiful photo.
Street SceneStreet Scene
Street Scene

Amazingly clean alleyways in this part of town.
St. James ParkSt. James Park
St. James Park

Late season flowers still blooming.
St. James ParkSt. James Park
St. James Park

London Eye in the distance


Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0883s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb