More driving, and a night in a castle


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Gloucestershire » Thornbury
April 4th 2018
Published: April 8th 2018
Edit Blog Post

More driving around Cornwall today (no, we haven't done enough(?)). Headed first for Port Isaac - where Doc Martin is filmed, but can't get near the town, cars not allowed. (Maurice decided to walk down the hill for a closer look.)

Then on to Padstow, where Rick Stein has his restaurant, cooking school and fish & chip shop. And just like all the other seaside villages, there is nowhere to park. They all seem to have a park and ride facility (with a car park on the edge of town), but they only seem to operate in summer. All of these little villages have been really crowded, I guess it is English school holidays, but it is cold! Hate to see what they would be like in summer. Eventually, Maurice drops Kate & I off, and goes somewhere else to park. Then fish & chips for lunch (but we missed Rick Stein's shop, drove past it on the way in).

Then we are on our way to Thornbury, about a 3 hour drive, near the border with Wales. Our accommodation for the night was Thornbury Castle, built in the 16th century. Apparently Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn stayed here.

We have a suite with a Murphy bed for Kate, and a 4 poster for us. The room is very elaborate, even has a kitchenette, living room, and the bathroom (thankfully) is modern. We have dinner included (fine dining) and are instructed to be in the lounge 15 minutes before our reservation, so they can go through the menu, take our orders, etc. A beautiful meal, excellent service then back up the spiral staircase to our room, and climb (literally) into the four poster for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb