LAST USA STOP = BOSTON


Advertisement
Published: May 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We have checked out of the United States of America and can now look back on 53 days of special times with the most fantastic of memories. We have seen wonderful sights and met some delightful people. It has been all we had hoped for and more.



Our last city visit was to Boston and our three days in ‘the Cradle of America” was just what we wished for. We last visited the city in 2001 when we met up with a good friend of ours (Kevin M) who was commuting to and from New York. We had done the ‘Duck Tours’ and Freedom Trail so this time we wanted to do a few different things. Last October I booked Boston Red Sox tickets for a home game versus the Orioles so that is where we headed on the Friday night. Fenway Park is an icon in US baseball. It is the Red Sox home field and this year celebrates turning 100 years old. We walked out to the ground stopping at a nice bar on route and soon found ourselves on Yawkey Way a vibrant street with hot dog stands, Red Sox shops and drinks vendors. It is a street full of colour and atmosphere and it was packed with fans. The entire place is lively and welcoming and is part of the great Fenway experience.



Compared to many modern stadiums around the country Fenway Park does not have all the mod cons but it works as a venue. You can access all areas and the views are stunning. I guess it is what you call a perfect baseball viewing stadium and is one of the reasons it is labelled America’s most beloved stadium. We were in the Grandstand on the First Base line and apart from a small area of the Jumbotron being obscured we felt right in the mix. The grass is beautifully clipped and after every third innings they ensure it keeps its looks by sending out about 10 people to manicure the ground – it is always looking a picture.



The festivities began with the words “please rise and remove your caps for the playing of the National Anthem”. Caps were placed over hearts and the words belted out – it was patriotism at its best. The introductions before had covered many a person – my favourite was the Blood Donor of the Day; I am still unsure what this person did. Are they strapped to an intravenous line for the fixture? There were also representatives of the groups that had over 100 people at the game as well as Doctor of the Day, Employees of the Day, young mascots and sponsors. After a period of introductions I told Narelle that if this went on much longer we would be up there. The less said about the ceremonial throwing of the first pitch the better – I am not sure I have seen a worse throw but it at least signified the start of the game.



A poignant moment was the introduction of a returned soldier. He had completed tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and came home with the Purple Heart – awarded to soldiers injured in battle. He stood atop the Red Sox dugout and when he was announced the crowd rose as one to cheer and salute him. He was dressed in his formal attire with medals and cap and he lapped up the well-deserved reception. It is a chance for the Red Sox to recognise one person but also for them to give a financial donation to the military organisation. I thought it was a wonderful gesture.



Fenway Park has been deemed sold out since 2003. In 2004 the Sox finally threw off the “Curse of the Bambino” and won their first World Series since 1918; the curse seemingly upon them since they sold the brilliant Babe Ruth to their arch-rivals the New York Yankees. They then repeated their title in 2007 from which the team has recaptured even more supporters since showing that they can compete with (and no longer just be the bridesmaid to) the Yankees. The dislike of the Yankees is strong and it would be brave supporter who turned up to a match in Yankee colours – I am sure some real banter is directed at them. The rivalry between the two franchises is regarded as 'the best in world sport'. That aside we may have chosen the wrong season to adopt Boston as they have had one of their worst starts to a season. The game we watched was the first leg of a three match home series against the Baltimore side; three matches in three days and sadly for the Red Sox three losses. Our game did not finish till after midnight due to extra innings with the Orioles finally breaking the deadlock late with two runs. I am not sure the team would say that was a good weekend. However, for us it was a great experience and we will long remember our night at Fenway singing along to ‘Take me down to the ballpark’ at the seventh-innings stretch and sharing in ‘Sweet Caroline’ in the eighth.



I think this will be the last paragraph on John F. Kennedy for this trip. Being in Boston it is hard not to see some of his influence as he was the Senator for Massachusetts before becoming president in 1960. Due to his relationship with Boston his Presidential Library is there and it was an easy subway and bus trip from where we were staying. We had visited the Library once before but had rushed through it due to a short stay; this time we ensured we left ourselves plenty of time. The Library was conceived and designed with the help of Jackie Kennedy and is a place of reflection for Kennedy’s time in office and a chance to expand his legacy for generations to come. It is also used by students studying politics – hence it is located in the grounds of the JFK/ Massachusetts campus. All modern presidents have a Library, which allows for all records of their time in Office to be collated in one place. JFK’s covers his lifetime from a boy growing up in Boston, travelling to London with his ambassador father, his literary writings, his life in the US Navy, political ambition and electoral success, and of course November 1963. There is an amazing amount of memorabilia of the time – from the coconut he wrote on to save his men when the naval boat PT109 sank to footage of the famous Nixon/ Kennedy debates. These debates have been long regarded as the starting point in political history for the influence of TV on elections – Kennedy’s performance was cool and confident where Nixon struggled under the lights. There was also an excellent documentary on the Cuban Missile Crisis - the only true moment in history that saw the world on the brink of nuclear war. As a result of the Administration’s forceful blockade the Russians backed down after 13 extraordinary days of negotiation and brinkmanship. Jacqueline Kennedy had gifted a memento to the Library that JFK gave to her. It was a silver desk calendar that highlighted the days they had just endured – he awarded one to each of his inner cabinet. A lot of thought must have gone into that quite personal idea and it was certainly a reflection of the time that they had just shared.



Our last JFK site was the Omni Parker Hotel; a beautiful old time hotel with oak panelling and ornate decorations. This is the hotel where JFK proposed to Jacqueline Bouvier and that he held his stag do at – quite a distinction. We for dinner but made sure it coincided with the Kentucky Derby so sat there with many others watching the race. There was just a small crowd at the track – 165,000 this year! We ate the famous Clam “Chowdah” with accompanying cocktails; we should really have had ‘Mint Juleps’, which are the drink of the Derby. I am starting to think that I have written enough on JFK and dragged Narelle to enough sites – in the 60s I may have made the FBI watch list if I had kept popping up at places he went. So I will bring that chapter to a close.



Boston is one of our favourites. It is just such an easy city to get around and we like the fact that we were able to walk most places. We visited the Old State House on our final morning, which allows you to get a feel of the position Boston had in the early days of America. It went from a colony of England to a patriotic state that rebelled against authority and helped map out the future of the new America after the American Revolution. They still celebrate ‘Patriot’s Day’ in Boston today. Coupled with our visits to Philly, Washington and the Battlefields it has allowed us to develop our knowledge in US history and I guess helped us understand why Americans today are so patriotic in everything they do. Thousands of their ancestors fought and died for a new America and they wish to remember that fact. Many people are disparaging of the US and their love of their flag but I would love to see the NZ ensign flown from more buildings and carried at more events. Globally it may not be the held in the same regard as the ‘Stars and Stripes’ but it is ours and I hope to see it flying high over London for two weeks later in the year.



So that is it. Day 53 of the trip saw us back at the airport and setting our sights on London. I would like to return to the US in the future to enjoy so much more – we have only scratched the surface of the country. With seven months left on our trip we should be thankful for what we have left and for what we have done. However, it is still nice to dream! I have seen enough of areas like the Napa Valley, San Fran and Monterey to want to go back – and of course I have promised myself a trip back to Zion. Maybe I should just become a travel consultant….


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb