Eastbourne, Beachy Head and the Seven Sisters


Advertisement
Europe » United Kingdom » England » East Sussex » Eastbourne
June 3rd 2021
Published: June 6th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Dear All Greetings, and hello again from London. I am writing at the end of a lovely week-long half-term holiday, the Thursday of which I decided to head out and explore again, and am now writing up my blog entry for another lovely local day trip from London. This time I headed southwards, to the south coast, to a lovely little seaside town called Eastbourne, and some nearby star attractions: Be... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 70, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Beachy HeadBeachy Head
Beachy Head

South Downs National Park
CliffsCliffs
Cliffs

Beachy Head
The "ESS", Eastbourne Sightseeing BusThe "ESS", Eastbourne Sightseeing Bus
The "ESS", Eastbourne Sightseeing Bus

South Downs National Park, Beachy Head
Belle Tout LighthouseBelle Tout Lighthouse
Belle Tout Lighthouse

South Downs National Park
Towards the Seven SistersTowards the Seven Sisters
Towards the Seven Sisters

South Downs National Park
Looking DownLooking Down
Looking Down

South Downs National Park
The Seven SistersThe Seven Sisters
The Seven Sisters

South Downs National Park



6th June 2021
Eastbourne Pier

Eastbourne Pier
This is lovely. Nice angle.
6th June 2021
Eastbourne Pier

Eastbourne Pier
Thanks Merry :)
6th June 2021

East Sussex
Once again, you taken us exploring a local treasure. Our philosophy has always been to travel far while we are young and do the closer things as we age because we may not want those long flights and jet lag. COVID has us exploring close by sooner than expected but these treasures are worth seeing. I didn't know about the Seven Sisters. I'll have to do some reading. We like those tourist buses to give us an overview of an area. We generally get introduced to other things we'd like to see and they provide some history and background that is always useful.
6th June 2021

East Sussex
Thank you as always for your lovely comments Merry, and for reading my blog. Yes, this was my plan too, to travel far while young, and near when more mature. I didn't realise it would come as soon as this...! Hopefully there'll be long travels for us again soon. I don't normally do the tourist buses, but I may be swayed after this experience - it was indeed great for an overview, and the views were impressive :)
6th June 2021
Eastbourne Market Stall

Food stalls
I'm always impressed with the quality of food in these places.
6th June 2021
Eastbourne Market Stall

Food Stalls
Indeed, I thought of you when I saw these stalls, I thought you would have enjoyed them :)
6th June 2021
Quiet Contemplation

Serenity
A nice one.
6th June 2021
Quiet Contemplation

Serenity
Thanks Merry, it was very peaceful and beautiful.
6th June 2021
Rather a Precarious Photo Spot

Falls abound
An easy tumble.
6th June 2021
Rather a Precarious Photo Spot

Falls
Indeed, and I took a selfie on this - I didn't think how foolish it was until after. And I didn't like the picture I took, so I haven't published it, lol!
6th June 2021
The Seven Sisters

A Lovely Day Exploring!
Alex, as you know, I admire your local explorations and Eastbourne, Beachey Head and the Seven Sisters were obviously a wonderful choice for your latest foray. The view of the Seven Sisters chalk cliffs was spectacular and what perfect weather! It is very sad to think about people so desperate they took their own lives at Beachy Head. Eastbourne sounds lovely, and I like the pier. Could really go for some Harry Ramsden's fish & chips right now! Glad you had such a rewarding day exploring. Wonderful blog and photos!
6th June 2021
The Seven Sisters

Exploring
What a lovely comment, thank you so much Sylvia! And thank you for reading :) I had a lovely day out at Eastbourne and around. Indeed, there are some sad stories from Beachy Head - I admire greatly the work of the Beachy Head Chaplaincy Team. The pier was lovely, and a slap-up fish 'n' chip meal certainly hits the spot when one is hungry!
6th June 2021

Off to Scotland?
Dave here.....one of our favorite places. Would love to go back as there is still much we've not seen. Looking forward to your missives of this great place!
6th June 2021

Scotland
Hi Dave. Indeed, Scotland is calling me this summer. I think Merry mentioned that you have both been and enjoyed it. This is very encouraging for me to hear ? I'm looking forward to travelling again, as I'm sure you both are too. Good to hear from you ?
7th June 2021

Off to Scotland...
You will probably get there before I do. We arrive in Edinburgh on 24 Aug...but will only be there two weeks. Have a great trip!
7th June 2021

Scotland
Ah, I remember you are also planning a Scotland trip this summer. I leave Glasgow back to England on 17th August, so it looks like we'll miss each other by a week unfortunately. I do hope we can meet up at some point though, it would be good to swap travel stories and adventures. I look forward to reading about your trip to Scotland soon. Have a great trip too! :D
7th June 2021

Scotland
G'day Alex. I live in Oz but my parents used to live in Rottingdean, just down the road from Eastbourne towards Brighton. Thank you for reminding me what a beautiful part of the UK it is. If you are going to Scotland in July/August make sure you book your accommodation in advance. Sylvia and I went there without booking ahead and finding somewhere to stay was painful and expensive (but we loved it anyway).
8th June 2021

Scotland
Hi John. Thanks for your comment and for reading my blog :) Rottingdean looks like a nice place, and indeed, what a lovely part of the UK it is around there! Thank you very much for the top tip about booking accommodation in Scotland in advance. I'm actually now all booked up for all of my four weeks there, and I found it a bit tricky to find accommodation in some places even this far in advance. I guess many people in the UK are doing a "staycation" this year. Thanks again for your comment, and all the best to you both :)
8th June 2021

England
Glad to see you've taken advantage of the beautiful weather we are having after a miserable month of lots of rain. On a beautiful sunny day by the coast its hard to believe you are in England and your photos really reflect this. I look forward to hearing about your Scotland adventure, it is something I've also thought about as I am lucky enough to have a car to tour around myself. I think its sensible for now to limit overseas travel in these uncertain times and a positive to explore your local or neighbouring areas :)
8th June 2021

England
Thanks Alan for reading my blog entry and for your comment, good to hear from you :) Indeed, we do live in a beautiful country, and it is easy to forget that there are still plenty of sunny days here! I'm looking forward very much to Scotland, I haven't explored there much, and there certainly seems plenty to see. Good that you have a car - I hope you are able to get out and about and explore a bit also this summer, even if it may be just within the UK. All the best to you :)
8th June 2021

Spectacular!
What a great day trip Alex! You are so lucky to have such a spectacular location so close to you. The cliffs reminded me of the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland, especially being able to get right up to the edge (I never ventured too close!). Scotland sounds wonderful, and I look forward to your blogs!
9th June 2021

Thank you!
Thank you Lori! Indeed, the cliffs reminded me also of your trip to and the photos from the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland - somewhere I hope to visit also at some point in the future. I imagine it was also a bit scary to go up to the edge there! Thank you, I'm looking forward very much to Scotland :D All the best to you both :D
14th June 2021
Eastbourne Pier

I think I have visited Eastbourne
In July 2005 my parents, my sister's family and I visited UK. As it happened I went there a few days before anybody else and that gave me a chance to travel by myself. That allowed me to see things that fascinates me. I then visited three places where there are so called chalk figures because I find them pretty cool. Another thing I really like is the recreation piers. I had already seen the one in Brighton so I went to Eastbourne to see that. I would actually love to make a "British recreation piers all in" trip one day. I am sure that would be good fun. /Ake
14th June 2021
Eastbourne Pier

Eastbourne
Wow, small world! There is indeed something quite special about a typical British seaside resort - the pier, prom, amusements and fish 'n' chip shops ? I'm glad to hear you also had a good time there, and were similarly impressed by the pier and chalkstone landscapes ?
14th June 2021
The Seven Sisters

That's awesome
So spectacular! /Ake
14th June 2021
The Seven Sisters

Seven Sisters Cliffs
Indeed, really spectacular landscape. Thanks for your comments Ake, and for reading my blog ?
28th July 2021

Edge of the Downs
Hi Alex - a great read yet again. I know this area well as have a friend whose home overlooks Belle Tout lighthouse - in fact I was sat in bed yesterday morning looking out over the lighthouse!! The severn sisters is such a scenic area but of course as you say it also has some very sad stories. Sadly also there have been many deaths by people getting too close to the edge and I watched yesterday's two young girls taking selfies right on the edge of the cliff - so silly particularly after the heavy rainfall we are currently experiencing. That being said it is a beautiful area and yesterday the downs were full of Chalkhill Blue butterflies as well as an amazing array of wildflowers. Look forward to reading you Scottish blogs soon. x Sheila
28th July 2021

The Downs
Wow, small world! And what a wonderful view for you at your friend's house! ? Indeed, a beautiful area, but as you also say, some sad stories from there. Lovely to read about the butterflies and wildflowers. Greetings from Scotland ?

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 19; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb