Here by the Sea and Sand: Trip to Brighton


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » East Sussex » Brighton
June 15th 2015
Published: June 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

History lesson: Today is the 800th anniversary of the signing of the Magna Carta. Cool to be here on such a momentous day.

Today was another bucket list day, as Andrew and I visited Brighton, the setting for The Who's Quadrophenia album. Despite some delays on the part of the British rail service at the start, the trip took less than an hour, and we were at the Brighton station by 1130.

It was cool -- around 60 -- and cloudy at first, but as Andrew and I walked down the hill through the center of town (stopping briefly at Hobgoblin Music store, where Andrew played several guitars), the skies slowly cleared. By the time we reached the beach, it was a beautiful sunny day. The channel water was a beautiful blue, the sky was filled with seagulls, and the sound of crashing waves was in the air.

Once at the beach, we walked along King's Road, the scene of the early 60s clash between Mods and Rockers that inspired the album. We hung out on Brighton Pier, looking at the sea and checking out the amusement park at the end. By that point, it was time for lunch. A sign on the pier read "The Spiritual Home of Fish and Chips," so it was fish and chips for us! We sat in the sun right next to the beach and enjoyed every bite. (We did have to fend off the occasional seagull who wanted our lunch, though.)

After getting ice cream, we headed to the Grand Hotel, whose door was smashed in the Mod-Rocker row and which inspired the song "Bellboy." Inside and out it looked exactly like we expected!

After enjoying the beach for a while longer, we headed back into town. Near the train station, we stopped at a cafe for our splurge of the day: afternoon tea. We enjoyed Earl Grey tea (with sugar and cream, of course), finger sandwiches, a variety of macaroons, and strawberry and dark chocolate tarts. Amazing!! The photo is a bit blurry but am including anyway so you get a sense.

We could not find a 5:15 train out, but we did arrive back in London at 5:15, so that counts as another Quadrophenia win! (Bonus points if you know that song.) Unexpected extra during the train ride: we went past the Battersea Power Station -- pictured on the Pink Floyd Animals cover. Goose bumps!

Once in London, we wandered around Soho, Picadilly Circus, and Leicester Square. We stopped at a pub for drinks only; still stuffed from tea. We returned to our cell to get ready for tomorrow and part three of the rock and roll trifecta: Liverpool!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



16th June 2015

This just in...
Pete Townshend's Classic Quadrophenia, his new, 'symphonised' version of The Whos landmark album Quadrophenia, has sold enough copies needed to secure the No.1 position in the Classical Charts several times over. However, the orchestral record has not been accepted into the Classical Chart, preventing Townshend from achieving what, in sales figures, would have been his first Classical No.1 record.
16th June 2015

True
Indeed! Big news in London papers. Townshend's response was classic Pete: F*** 'em.

Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb