South Coast Delight


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Dorset
June 9th 2018
Published: July 13th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Oooops sorry I'm playing catch up a bit here. I hadn't noticed until now that I'd left out a trip. Well here goes...

A quick stop over in Arundel, yep in a field in the shadow of Arundel Castle. Such a picturesque town with plenty to see and do. As usual the ‘do’ for us was walking the dawgs. Good job too as we'd have probably missed out some stunning countryside and views of the castle.

Arundel Cathedral is stunning and for such a small town it just adds to quirk and splendour. We spent a day chilling out before moving on the Brighton, Peacehaven in fact. I had hoped to get to Port-en-Bessin in France in the RV for commemorations of the D-Day raid in which my Great Uncle Maurice took part. He was in the Royal Marines, tasked with ensuring the Germans didn't hinder the landing of Operation PLUTO (Pipeline Under the Ocean). This was a pipe run out between a pumping station built in a bombed out building on the Isle of Wight, across the channel and ashore at P-e-B. The raid was a complete success and the pipeline eventually stretched al,ost to Berlin by the end of the war. Without this and the Mulberry Harbour it all could have ended very differently.

You can see pictures of when I did visit P-e-B on my web site www.davewrightphotography.com On this occasion we settled for a cliff top in Peacehaven, during the night, the mist cleared and we could clearly see the lights of Port-e-Bessin twinkling peacefully. A far cry from when Uncle Maurice visited.

Anyway, that was a quick trip and then home for some more firkling...


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb