Jurassic Coast near Lulworth Cove


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Dorset » Lulworth Cove
January 15th 2011
Published: January 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Jurassic Coast is a World Heritage Site on the English Channel Coast of Southern England, and stretches from Orcombe Point near Exmouth in East Devon to Old Harry Rocks near Swanage in East Dorset, with a distance of 153km (95 miles).

The Jurassic Coast consists of Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous Cliffs, spanning the Mesozoic era, documenting 180 million years of geological history.

The site shows excellent examples of landforms, e.g. the natural arch at Durdle Door, the cove and limestone folding at Lulworth Cove, all of which are accessible by the bus from Wool station.

On arrival at Lulworth Cove village in May 2007, we ambled through the circle-shaped bench at Lulworth Cove and looked at the amazing landform, i.e. Stair hall. A series of rough tides ruthlessly hit the rock of Stair Hall. The centre of the rock was corroded by the rough waves but the limestone surface remained.

We followed on the South Coast Path towards the Durdle Door. The footpath was located on the top of the cliff, and it allowed us to overlook the circle shaped cove at Lulworth Cove, and picturesque village, turquoise coloured sea, chalky cliff, mysterious rocks, we were able to see the coastline of Weymouth beyond.

Upon arrival at the Durdle Door, we walked down to the beach to look at the natural arch more closely. There were quite a few people around the Durdle Door. We also saw several individuals who seemed to be looking into the features of the cliff and stones on the bench. The site was featured on the television programme “Seven Natural Wonders” recently. Geologists continue investigating the features of each layer of the cliff and stone.

We were rather disappointed to hear the news that some insane people jumped off from the cliff of the Durdle Door in summer 2008.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.04s; cc: 18; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb