Clovelly


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon
August 25th 2022
Published: August 25th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Big walk day. Plenty of elevation gain which is simply walking talk for lots of ups and downs. And about 20km again which when matched with the ups and downs is about right. Leaving at 9:00 sees us arrive just after 4:00 which is good. Not easy but good. The ups and downs correspond with streams or rivers meeting the sea so it’s all understandable and all geographically correct but it doesn’t make the walk easier!

The track here is easy to follow as there is so little else around. A holiday park was our only detour and that was for icy-poles so we were happy about that. There were a few people on the track but significantly fewer than on the weekend. Those we saw were camping nearby and going for an ‘English walk’.

We are comfortably encamped at the New Inn in Clovelly. Our luggage was temporarily misplaced (it was in the hotel lock-up at the top of the village) and we were originally assigned a double room but with that all sorted things are fine. They were apologetic but really it doesn’t matter at all now. We’ve just eaten. Julie had some pretty good fish and chips and I had a half lobster. It is difficult to get a bad lobster and mine was OK but not brilliant. It was sweet and succulent but not really big and the sauce wasn’t mornay but simply butter. If I’m having lobster I want it rich! Everything here and around is served with triple cooked chips (Heston has much to answer to) which suits us as they are pretty good. Still can’t come at peas with fish and chips though!

Had a bit of a meander down to the quay. The cobbles do not make for easy access anywhere here but all the day tourists have disappeared so at least the streets are a little more user friendly. Clovelly is lovely and charming and delightful but I think it would take a toll knowing that everything comes in on a sled and to go anywhere means a serious up hill slog.

Tomorrow we walk to Hartland Quay. Even the locals here in Clovelly think it’s nice there! It’s slightly less than 20 km but again with plenty of elevation gain. Not surprising at all and in many ways a replay of today’s walk.
I’ll drop in yesterday’s photos and hopefully post. The internet is good on one side of the street but drops out on the other (where our room is).

Caio.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb