Devon


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon
September 27th 2021
Published: December 20th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Only 8 years in the UK and Devon will have been the farthest West, along the south coast, that we would have been. We always say we want to get to Cornwall, we will eventually and over the years we are gradually getting there! It also helps that we have our own car! we can finally go to places without having to worry about renting and public transport.

We based ourselves at a campsite near Modbury and our first place of visit was Bigbury on Sea/Burgh Island, a tiny island with one fancy hotel and a pub that is accessible by foot only in low tide, or by taking a gigantic tractor like machine with huge wheels when the tide is high. We took a walk to nearby Felicity Bay and back and by then enjoyed a pub lunch at the Burgh Island pub whilst enjoying the views and perfect weather.

We also took a day trip to Dartmoor national park and had a nice walk around and to Bellever Tor. The national park is pretty big and there are many different places one can go for a walk.

Another day trip was to Salcombe and walking along the coast towards Soar Mill cove and looped back to Salcombe. Again we had quite a nice day and there was a well deserved ice cream back in Salcombe while watching the sailboats in the estuary.

Another day we walked along the coast from Bolberry Down to Hope Cove and back around. Hope Cove was nice but for a tiny village it was packed full of holiday makers so we didn't stick around for too long and pressed on to enjoy a pub lunch back at the Ocean Restaurant back in Bolberry.

It was also great to do a bit of camping as it had been quite a few years. I think we are slowly introducing more comforts as we get older!

Our last stop on route back home was Dartmouth which is a nice picturesque seaside town along the river Dart. An opportunity to grab one last pub lunch, theme of these holidays, and to walk along the river front to watch nervously as kids lean over a two meter drop in to the river fishing for crabs and eating fish and chips.

People always said Devon was nice and it was. It would be good to compare with north Devon too one day. Maybe on the way to Cornwall!


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 22; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb