Widecombe in the Moor; Cherbourg


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

HaytorHaytorHaytor

Ashlyn with a young mare.
A couple of great days connecting with family, under sunny skies and amidst breathtaking scenery.

Each town in Devon, England that we have visited has a prominent veterans or WWII memorial. The effects of the war over here were far-reaching. There are so many individual stories to hear. Yesterday made for an enjoyable 4 hour ferry ride from Poole, UK to Cherbourg, France. The water in the English Channel was glass. Renting a car is less intimidating, as they drive on the 'right' side of the road. On Utah Beach (Normandy) there is a memorial with Grampy's LST listed. That is powerful, and personal.

As the week begins drawing to a close, it is getting more difficult for me to recap my day in a blog because there is so much to process and I'm not at a point to reflectively write about it yet.

Internet connections in the country where we are continue to be inconsistent, at best. That's a bit frustrating as this is my third attempt to write this blog. I keep losing the WiFi connection and have to start over. Hopefully the extra photos will help fill in the blanks.

Sunrise is usually
At the top of HaytorAt the top of HaytorAt the top of Haytor

Check out the backdrop! I so hope Reagan will remember this unbelievable journey. Some of the connections she's making and her reflections have been very insightful.
around 4:30 am. Sunset is usually around 9:45pm. It allows us to really maximize our time. It does make for a short sleep cycle, however, the bedding accommodations here are extremely comfortable.

We went to Haytor (aka Haytor Vale, Haytor Rocks) today (in the moor at Dartmoor). Haytor consists of two distinct tors. The moor offers views and natural space that I would never tire of. We climbed on the rocks, took in the wild ponies, cattle and sheep that grazed literally at our feet. It's a place where you feel connected to that which is larger than yourself.

We had an incredible dinner at a 14th century pub - The Old Inn at Widecombe in the Moor. Stone floors, amazing hearths; and real candles provide the lighting on the mantles so there are years of candle wax residue imbedded in between the stones.

To my Ostasiewski clan.... I feel as if we need a family gathering of sorts so that I can share Grampy's journey properly, in due time. Thanks for following along.

Cheers!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

FranceFrance
France

Sunrise overlooking the English Channel from Cherbourg, France. 4:50 AM
Sunset in the moorSunset in the moor
Sunset in the moor

Dartmoor, UK .. after dinner at the pub
The Old Inn at Widecombe The Old Inn at Widecombe
The Old Inn at Widecombe

The pub where we had dinner. This was adjacent to a church, B&B, shops, and farm.
The Old Inn at Widecombe The Old Inn at Widecombe
The Old Inn at Widecombe

An inside view and a snapshot of the woodwork detail on the back of a bench.


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb