The Why, What and How


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Tiverton
May 13th 2018
Published: May 13th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Ever since leaving New Zealand almost five and a half years ago we've wanted to go back! Five weeks whetted the taste buds enough to know that returning for a much longer period had to be, and, perhaps later than hoped, here we are starting our journey back to the land of horizontal, life-balanced, rugby-loving, kiwi folk.

As ever, a trip like this takes planning... especially when taking a motorhome to cold winter climes and packing up a house for rental in order to help fund the adventure. However, our motorhome - or 'moho' - is currently going through customs checks before being delivered to compliance to be stamped self-contained and gas/electric safe according to Kiwi rules. If all goes to plan and on time, we will be collecting 'Hermie' on Wednesday.

So why take your own moho to NZ, a country full of them and kitted out beyond most? Well, they are expensive to buy down there, about 20K more expensive! So buying new and shipping within 6 months of purchase gives you a VAT free price, shipping that comes in just over that saving, and the potential then of selling at the 20K difference potentially brings a no-cost - or low cost - trip. Let's see how that pans out, nevertheless we are especially grateful for the opportunity.

Our flight routing is taking us back to Hong Kong for a 7 hour bag check, shower and - hopefully! - local cuisine, before heading onto Auckland for a Tuesday lunchtime arrival. With a few days in town, there is a bank account to activate, a shipping company to pay, our moho to collect and then starts the adventure!

Having always wanted to do a ski season somewhere, we have season lift passes booked for the largest ski areas on both North and South Island, the latter is where we really aim to spend a good amount of time. Queenstown, dubbed the adventure capital of New Zealand, stole our hearts before being nested beside Wakatipu lake and surrounded by the towering peaks of The Remarkables. Other than skiing - and perhaps defrosting and digging out the Hermie - there are both new and old places to visit, hikes to trek, volcanoes and geo-thermals to see, and new winter sports to try out! Oh, and every now and then, we may just sit and take in the awesome vistas of the snow-capped mountains, glaciers, lakes... and, and, and.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



13th May 2018

Inspired trip
Following you guys all the way. I wish we had the guts to explore and experience the world when we were younger. May not be too late. X x x
13th May 2018

Hope max is not in the container
?
13th May 2018

Where on earth
Where on earth do you find the time to research and organise such a trip? Have an awesome trip guys!
13th May 2018

First of many
Have fun both of you and keep the updates coming. I will try and keep up whilst working my fingers to the bone 8-)
14th May 2018

Missing you
Wow you guys...it was a mammoth task to be able to leave on Saturday but you did it . ..cant wait to see Hermie all set to go and u guys skiing while we sun ourselves....well when it arrives anyway!
23rd May 2018

Good luck guys, have s great time! ?

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb