Plymouth (End of Summer bank holiday)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Plymouth
August 25th 2007
Published: June 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

PlymouthPlymouthPlymouth

The actual sign of where Plymouth is situated.
Plymouth for the long weekend (Extra long as we take the Wed, Thurs & Friday off) woohoo! Lots of sun and sea!

We leave the Midlands on Wednesday around 10am for the 4 - 5 hour journey to Plymouth. An absolutely gorgeous day, which is great on one hand, bad on the other, as the car is not air conditioned. We only have one stop on the way so we can get there as soon as possible. The views on the way down are beautiful English country side.

We arrive in Plymouth around 3.30pm to find we are right next to Sainsburys (supermarket) which is a bonus, as we can grab a few things to eat in the hotel. The hotel room is lovely, large room, champange waiting for us, big bathroom, really comfortable bed and views of the city. The first night we get directions from the receptionist to the barbican which is apparently the oldest part of Plymouth. It is right near the waterfront were there are lots of different restaurants. It's about a 15 - 20min walk away from the hotel, but as it's a gorgeous evening we head out to explore Plymouth. We take a walk through the middle of town and then up a slight hill and as soon as you get to the top, it hits you, the view of the sea as you walk around winding pathways to get to the barbican/seafront during sunset, one word - breathtaking! Once we hit the barbican which is a street filled with different restaurants, bars, take aways etc. Lots of people sitting outside with fish and chips watching the sunset. We came across a small grill/jazz restaurant/bar which was lovely. Lots of seafood (although I don't like it) Kevin was in his element.

Thursday - Shopping day! - We got up bright and early with a plan to hit the shops! (as our hotel is right in the centre of Plymouth) I had read on the internet about a new shopping centre called drake's circus that hasn't long been opened which of course we had to look inside. There were loads of shops around, but luckily we didn't spend too much. In the evening I had booked online to see Beauty & the beast the musical. I've never seen a musical, well besides when I was at high school, but nothing at this scale.
Shopping centreShopping centreShopping centre

Shopping centre in the evening (that's why it's not so busy.)
It was absolutely amazing! I loved it, it was just like the movie when I was a kid. It definitely makes me want to see more professional musicals.

Friday - Tourist day - We made our way down to the seafront to find the information centre, but of course when we get there it no longer exsists. The day was absolutely scorching, which we weren't expecting with the way we were dressed. We did however come across a boat trip that takes around an hour, going up the harbour by all the big navy boats, submarine, a small town on one side, St Drake's Island and a few other historical places, which was interesting. It was very peaceful out at sea with the sun beaming down and breeze on your face. After this we walked along the sea front, to find a pool looking over the sea, which looked really nice.. especially with it being so hot. There were kids jumping off diving boards into the sea, ice cream trucks everywhere. English summer at it's best!

Saturday - Relaxing day - We went back into town again, which was obviously packed out with all the shoppers on a Saturday morning. But we tried out the local fudge and cornish pasties which are famous in this part of the country. We were even given orders to bring some back with us.

Sunday - Nothing exciting but the long drive home! we take our time in the morning, trying to make the last few hours of our hotel last before packing our bags and heading on our way...



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

SunsetSunset
Sunset

Another beautiful sunset.
Shopping centreShopping centre
Shopping centre

This is drake circus shopping centre. The outside of it looked pretty cool.
Boat tripBoat trip
Boat trip

The boat trip we went on, which was absolutely beautiful.
LighthouseLighthouse
Lighthouse

First day in Plymouth, heading to get something to eat, we came across a gorgeous sunset.
That's usThat's us
That's us

That's us walking to the Barbican for dinner, doesn't the setting look perfect.
Watch out!Watch out!
Watch out!

Kevin in charge of the cannon.
PoolPool
Pool

The pool that overlooked the ocean. How amazing is that?
BarbicanBarbican
Barbican

This is the Barbican at night (Obviously) this is where we went for a meal and some drinks.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb